two tone or not too tone

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
i've got a 61 belair bubbletop, it will be painted someday, or so the bodyman says, he suggested a two tone paint job.i found a couple two tone pictures, one with a white roof over fawn and white over turquoise.any thoughts,suggestions or pictures. the car will be bare bones, radio delete, dog dish caps etc.the color will be a medium slate blue from a 06 dodge truck.

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I love the 2 tone. My first choice was red with a white top. But at the time the only other 61 coming out around here was that exact paint scheme. So I had to settle for white with a white top. :roll I wanted a 2 tone really bad in fact I almost painted white with a red top. I say go for it.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Out of all the bodies from 61-64 the 61 is the one that looks best with a two-tone.

DaveFoster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I painted my 64 two tone, bright yellow with a pearl white top, it dates the car to the mid century but I get torn between this look and all yellow. I love flames, dash is flamed, front wheel wells are flamed, trunk and floor mats are flamed. About all I can flame with a two tone, if I ever paint the roof yellow look for flames from the headlights to the tailights immediately if not sooner, just don't think two tone cars look good flamed. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the two tone, got a couple chips in my paint around the trunk and a bug is on permanant display under the clearcoat in my white roof. It's your car and your call on the paint, but you can change it again, just be sure to record the paint formula, number, brand, supplier, anything to make matching it easier if you change your mind like me.

scotty t

Supporting Member 1
I painted my 64 two tone, bright yellow with a pearl white top, it dates the car to the mid century but I get torn between this look and all yellow. I love flames, dash is flamed, front wheel wells are flamed, trunk and floor mats are flamed. About all I can flame with a two tone, if I ever paint the roof yellow look for flames from the headlights to the tailights immediately if not sooner, just don't think two tone cars look good flamed. Maybe I'm just getting tired of the two tone, got a couple chips in my paint around the trunk and a bug is on permanant display under the clearcoat in my white roof. It's your car and your call on the paint, but you can change it again, just be sure to record the paint formula, number, brand, supplier, anything to make matching it easier if you change your mind like me.

i am thinking about ghost flames and two tone for my nomad, pearl white roof, sunset orange body with VERY subtle flames. for the 61 i think maybe a lighter shade or the same color might look good.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ok,,, I get it now,,,
For some reason I never think about the top being "two tone",,:doh
I like that look and it works on most years.
I have a tendency to think of a "two tone" as in"two tone" on the lower body,,dq

bobs409

Administrator
White over turqouise looks fantastic. If I had a '61, those are the colors I'd wish for. :brow

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What ever color you choose you can't go wrong. 61's just are Cool...:clap :clap :clap

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
If you're going for the bare bones plain jane dog dish hubcap look,...
I say one solid color. you can always add the white roof later on.
I wouldn't advise trying to match the blue later on if you didn't like the white roof.

I absolutely do not like the roof being a seperate color, but thats just me.

:cool: