u-joint for driveshaft

Mr harold knight

going to buy moog u-joints for my 1962 Impala part number 269 non-greaseable or #280 greaseable . what would be the best u-joint to get? Thanks

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It depends on how you drive your car. I use the spicer non greaseable because they are stronger.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The old drag racers always insisted that the greaseable u joints were installed with the grease zerk installed on the compression side of the joint to prevent possible breakage. They felt that the lube hole did weaken the joint if indexed on the "pull" side. :dunno Leo

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
That's how we set up all the big trucks. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it is what we did.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I will try. :rubWith the U joint installed, the trans yoke rotates to turn the drive shaft, the grease zerk should be on the "push" side above the drive shaft yoke. That will put the load into the lube fitting hole. If the U joint is indexed 90 degrees, the load would be "pulling apart" at the lube fitting hole. Hope this makes sense. Leo

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I run one weak joint up front on the yoke (1350). Maybe the weak 1350 is stronger than the best 1310? Last hard run down frontage road on slicks twisted a $150 yoke. I would rather replace the $20 joint up front. If you have to pick a spot to break, make it cheap.

59 NSS - 409 Charlie

I have the box somewhere--If some one wants the number, I will look for it--What I ran for years drag racing is a joint for a ford truck-- 1 ton it looks bigger but it will fit--A old timer running a driveshaft shop years ago told me that and that is what I ran for years until I went to a strange one piece shaft with 1350 joints

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
I will try. :rubWith the U joint installed, the trans yoke rotates to turn the drive shaft, the grease zerk should be on the "push" side above the drive shaft yoke. That will put the load into the lube fitting hole. If the U joint is indexed 90 degrees, the load would be "pulling apart" at the lube fitting hole. Hope this makes sense. Leo

So, fitting toward the front of the car or back (on joints where the fitting is offset, and offset doesn't matter in regards to fitment)?

I'm not seeing how it's loaded in "compression" any more than "tension" given the rotational motion of the yokes. The output yoke will be putting a load on the joint in one direction, while the input yoke will be putting an equal and opposite load in the other.

My engineering sense makes me think it doesn't matter which way the zerk is facing.

Attachments

• pcn-331_w.jpg
    pcn-331_w.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 4

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Guys,
Firstly im not sure if this is what is meant in the above posts but it makes sense in my head
Secondly please excuse the CAD file as it is a 1878 version and not compatible with most confusers
And its bloody upside down:bat

Regards

Steve

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks Ron,:clap
Had me stuffed and i had done enough thinking about stuff at that stage in the day:doh

Regards

Steve

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I always thought it had more to do with interference of the zerk restricting the motion of the joint.