Under coating

Kaycee

Well Known Member
GOOD GOD I'm having fun now removing under coating NOT.So I spent most of friday with a heat gun and putty knife removing the under coating still need about another half day.Seems to be going pretty good tried the wire wheel on the grinder first WOW talk about turning into a tar baby,pretty much everything in the garge has a nice coating on it now.What product did you use to re coat the under side been looking at POR 15 AND Eastwood products trying to get an idea of what I should go with.Have a good day

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Wow that looks good:bow,guess I need to scrape alot more did you spray or brush that on ?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Just a tip on undercoat removal. I had 2 bottles of the torches that you use for sweating copper line, don't take long to heat it and you can scrape it very easily , makes short work of it.Just be careful not to overheat metal .

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I used the good old summer sun and a putty knife and sandblastingPictureKodak easy share photos 860.jpg PictureKodak easy share photos 863.jpg PictureKodak easy share photos 866.jpg to rid the undercoating from my parts car inner fenders on my '57 do over

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Just a tip on undercoat removal. I had 2 bottles of the torches that you use for sweating copper line, don't take long to heat it and you can scrape it very easily , makes short work of it.Just be careful not to overheat metal .

I've used this method also and it works about as good as anything I've ever used. I've even used the mapp gas which is hotter than the regular propane tanks with good success.
Ken

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow that looks good:bow,guess I need to scrape alot more did you spray or brush that on ?
I scraped mine with no heat or chemicals and then used a scotch bright pad with paint thinner and the a degreaser to wash. Then sprayed the Zero Rust.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I have been using a industrial heat gun with pretty good results ,I been on a creeper (no rotisiree)but DAMM this getting old.I started to clean up some spots with a wire cup wheel on my 4" grinder until it decided to shed all the wire,going to get a knotted wheel and try .Thats a draw back to living 50 miles away from a supply house:cryYou guys do good work you looking for some extra work the pay sucks but the company is worth alot:dance

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
My buddy that does frame offs scrapes with putty knife and torch. Then sprays with textured bedliner. Either get the black stuff to replicate the asphalt undercoating, or the tintable stuff and shoot it body color. Both look real good.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I didn't remove any undercoating on my '64 SS. Everything was still tight and not cracked. My '56 was another story. The car came from Montana and I have never seen such thick undercoating on any car like this before. In some areas, it had to be 1/8" thick. I think the switch must have stuck on the gun. I tried different methods for removal and the best that worked for me was a heat gun and putty knife. Just be careful not to get the undercoating too hot because it will get liquidty/run and you don't want that. Just enough heat to make it pliable for removal. When everything was clean, I then sprayed a reduced Rustoleum black paint. Turned out nice.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I restored a few 62-64 Impalas. Haven't had to scrape any undercoating yet, I just replace the floors. The cars here in Northeast Pa are always rusted bad:cry:cuss:roll

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Well back to the undercoating idea (5 months later) ,has anyone used the Rustoleum undercoating in the quart can a lot cheaper than the 3M stuff.

jeff hall

Well Known Member
local auto paint store recommended Rocker Panel Guard by Auto Body master for the new floor and toe board. Really came out nice and its not soft like most under coating.