unilite upgraded distributor

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
I just wanted to get everyone thoughts on the Unilite Electronic distributor conversion. :scratch I am just about finished with my rebuild and don't want my spark to be the what's holding back an otherwise decent street 409. I read some old threads and most think they're okay. I just wanted to see if any opinions have changed. Take a look at the pics. The red Mallory cover has started breaking away. Would it be worth replacing or going with a new system or rebuild from ignitionman?

The numbers on it read 12308, C.A.R.B., EO D-70-9.

Attachments

• dist 001a.JPG
    dist 001a.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 49
  • dist 002a.JPG
    dist 002a.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 50
  • dist 003a.JPG
    dist 003a.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 54

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Go with Dave Ray

My plans are to have all my future distributors sent to IgnitionMan. You will be dialed in and it's one more thing you never have to worry about :).

TomK

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I run with a MSD now,but I did run a Mallory Unilite for about 10 years.I never had a problem with the Unilite,so save your money and run with it.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
I was running a unilite exactly like that, developed all kinds of wierd problems like engine miss when you step on the brake (tailights) thought first this was some kind of vacume problem with brake booster, also when you turned on either of the turn signals engine cut out each time the flasher clicked, windshield wipers made engine cut out, before I had a chance to figure all of this out one fine HOT summer day it left me walking :cuss got it nailed down to no spark so slapped my old point type dist back in and eureaka all electrical/ engine miss problems went away ran great!!!! I have since got one rebuilt from ignitionman, I'll never go another way

mabeauchamp

Supporting Member 1
thanks for the help. any idea what ignition man charges? how's his work compare to the mallory aftermarket dist?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
From memory

The last distributor IgnitionMan converted for me (after mailing a core and defining my specs in response to his forms he will send you) cost about $220 which in my case included the coil. At least I think that's how much it was, as it was about a year ago.

Hope that helps.

TomK