Unknown scoops?

bobs409

Administrator
Found these sitting in the back of a tow truck yesterday while at the junk yard. Not sure what they came from.

Ebay and google doesn't turn up anything so this must be good. :D Part number: 3894169, both the same. Made of chrome plated cast metal with 6 studs on each. Measure 13-3/4 X 3-1/4 inches.

Looks like a GM number to me and appear to be something 60-70's.

DSCN4320.jpg DSCN4321.jpg

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Is this it?
H7949.JPG

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
They were on big block trucks only. Not sure if this is correct, but I was told 1 vent for 366, both sides for 427. Not used on the 73 and later body style trucks. Some school buses kept the 72 body style a few years longer.

bobs409

Administrator
bob
not sure what they are off of, but they are for the hood side curtains
designed to get hot air from under the hood to the outside
I paid a $ 375.00 for a set of polished alumn. ones for my coupe

Well I can let you have these for 1/2 that. :D :laugh2

mike bell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Bob
While in high school (61-65), I worked part time for Fred Weber Const. greasing dozers and such in the evenings. I remember a lot of the heavier duty trucks had those or vents very similar on either side of the hood very similar to the picture. They were all GMC's , maybe '61 to '65,not sure on that. Hope that puts another piece in your puzzle!! Mike

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
They were on big block trucks only. Not sure if this is correct, but I was told 1 vent for 366, both sides for 427. Not used on the 73 and later body style trucks. Some school buses kept the 72 body style a few years longer.
You're right Ron, 366 'sw had one louver and 427's had two. My 72 C-60 is a 366 truck with one. It actually had a flexible hose that ran to the breather much like the 409 in my C-80.