Update on 61

Va348

Supporting Member 1
I have a 61 HT that I"m doing a frame off to ,to make a super driver. Here what I have done so far.

1 409 cu in all alu LS 1 installed. headers made,Box frame so they go tru frame with a S pipe. Muffers installed at rear behind wheels.

2 Step lower ball joint 2 in to lower and can use stock spring and no drop spindles. Also fixes camber gain. { radial tires need this}

Can you tell I"m a old oval track racer.

3 80's Marlo Carlo sway bar, no problem with steering box even use org. a-arm tabs,move them closer to ball joint.

4 Had a hard time on what rear to use, 9 in ford or a 10 bolt using a 10 bolt allready has 3.42 and posi. Heck is not going to have nothing but street tires on it.

5 This one was hard for me. Had a 6 speed already in it work Great drove it about 5 miles before I tore it down.It was slick!
also had a LT1 in it then. I am going with a 200-r 4

6 Has 4 wheel disc brakes.

I know most of you all do not like modified these cars,But I love making parts for them and I drive them a LOT.

I going to DRIVE this one from Va. TO lake Tahoe Hot Aug Nights N RT out S RT back. Once in a life time. NO Trailer

When its done, I need to find the right 62 2 dr sed for my 09 been looking.

Have a Merry Christmas Everyone!

Dale Hope this the right forum or is there a forum for this!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sounds like you've used alot of good ideas, well mayby not the automatic. Just kidding, that 200 4R is a nice way to go. That 409 ci LS1 was a nice touch. I also put my mufflers right at the back I think it's a good setup. We need to see some pictures if you can post some.

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Thanks Jims 409

I will try to post some pic. next wk.

On trans it was a hard decision 6 sp was super nice, Clutch was perfect. But after about 4,000 miles on my 55 I was wishing it was auto.

Dale

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Stop by enroute

Dale:

Sounds pretty nice. If you ar edriving I-70 across Missouri and need a place to stop for the night, consider Columbia, MO (equidistant between St. Louis and Kansas City). I can put you up for the night, show you a neat college town, but you have to put up with all my unfinished X-frame projects, including my factory 1961 Bel Air Sport Coupe with a 348 and three-on-the-tree :) (BTW, it's a frame off that has a way sto go...)

I can drive with you to KC where we can hook up with the members who live in that area.

Cheers,
TomK

JokersBel

Banned
sounds like a great plan, yes,, even the 2004R! It sounds like you have the same intentions as do I...long-distance driving! I hope to hit the Hot Rod Power Tour one day with the '59, so that OD gear made lots of sense to me. If I was going to pound gears down the track or just local cruising, i'd definately have done a manual. Most likely the 6 speed as well. (the 700R4 form Bowtie cost as much as a new 6 speed, oh-well) PICS MAN...PICS

Merry XMas
Jim

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Putting a 2" spacer under the lower ball joint sure sounds like a smart idea. I wish I'd have thought of that. I've seen kits to raise the upper joint to improve the suspension geometry but it never occured to me that you could also lower the car that way. Finding a sway bar that worked was an example of good hot rodding. I used a 1" aftermarket sway bar that I had on my 64 and it was a really tight fit with the 605 box.

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
I keep reading what a tight fit aftermarket sway bars are with a 605 box and I was wondering if you made some spacer blocks to go between the frame and the sway bar mounts if that would move the bar down enough to put a REAL sway bar in.

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Tom

May stop by, will most likely not be coming yr. I'm trying to round up few cars to make the trip.have 2 so far. Have frame about do as far as what I want to do to it.

Jim ss409

Its not a spacer on ball joint. What it is, you cut a-arm by bum-stop
weld a plate on [3/16 ] raise ball joint up, I did 2 in weld on and gusset 4 places I will put some pic end of wk. worth a thou words.

ED51

Sway bar is off the down size Marlo Carlos what 78 to about 87
goes toward front car in front str box. ARM are longer and bar is a
1=1/16

Dale

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Back of A -Arm

Looks like I have them too Sm.

Attachments

• back of a-arm.jpg
    back of a-arm.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 383

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
When you say the arms are longer on the sway bar,am I correct in assuming that you have to relocate the mounting brackets forward of the stock location? And this bar clears the 605 box and pitman arm? Thanks Ed

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Ed51

You move bar toward Rad just to where Frame is flat. I made 1/4 in plate and welded on frame about 3-1/2 in in front of org. from Cen to cen. Here is a pic of left side.

Threeimpala spindle is 11-5/8 top to bottom.

Dale

Attachments

• left side sway bar.jpg
    left side sway bar.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 324

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
She's looking good Dale.:cheers I was just wondering what the formula was to get to a 409ci LS1. Is it all just extra stroke or is the bore bigger as well. I know those engines can make incredible power, depending on how radical you want to go. I was wondering how much power you are aiming at with this one.

Va348

Supporting Member 1
I had pistons Made 4.035 409.2 Cu.in 4.00 stroke. Had sleeves made. Could have use a 6.o block and just bored 35,But wanted all Alu. Those Ls1 heads are unreal Just a little touch up and you can get 300 cfm. I'am using the 6.0 Truck head same as the Z06 except Camber about 5 cc Bigger. I want to put my W eng in a 62 sedan.This 61 I want to drive across the USA. I put 10,000 Miles on my 55 in 1 yr. I drive them a lot.So this 61 going to have Air and all goodes. I'am trying to trade a 66 nova with C-4 sup under it now for a 62. If I don't I will get rid of this summer. 61 had all SS badges and all but I could not prove it. Had been change to much. They are all old looking. Nuts on back side look like side molding. If anything made have been dealer installed.

Dale

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Pics of that 61?

Dale:

Any pics of the 1961? Sounds interesting. I've always thought that body style combines the best of the 50s with some unique designs pointing to the future (before the sides got big and slabbed).

What are you looking for in the 1962 post? I have one but it's kinda rough and in primer. Amateur restoration started, but not a very good job. I bought it for parts (front fenders, trunk, and side trim pieces) but do not have the heart to dismantle it. Thought it might make a nice drag car :)

Best,
TomK

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Just want one that I can make a drag car out of. About 6 of us around here want to do a race about 1 time a month. Guy up the
Road that I do work.Has convert over from GM to dodge.He has more money than good sence tho.

Anyway He going use a hemi, He going to buy Ford, Pontiac.

Man he has a Big building Full of Chry Parts and Cars. New Carbs. still in Boxs for the 2-4 hemi's. He must have 15 Hemi's I have 3 blocks at my shop now. Old Sox & Martins,Petty's You would believe the parts. 3 bins high 3 side of shop.

Anyway I'm going to blow is S*** away with a W. We put a Cu in Limit of 450.cu. in. Cast iron heads.

We just want to play.

Dale

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Work I have done in last 2 months.

Took all paint off with paint remover (KWIK marine paint and Varnish remover) It was so easy Brush it on one way, let set use a blade on some of it or used steel wool dip in remover.Wash with Lac. thinner,New metal, Door jams, And fire wall is hard to believe how shining it is and clean!

Do you'all take the old lead out too? Its been recommend that I need to take it out. Its cracked on the Top post anyway.

Dale