Update on 61

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
I would take any lead out that looks like it's cracked or separating and replace with new lead (if you have the skill) or with a fiberglass reinforced plastic filler covered with skim coat of lighter weight filler.

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Do I need to use the long strand or just the reg fiberglass, I have all-metal on hand allso.

Thanks Dale

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
We use a product called Everglass (similarly, Duraglass), a very short strand fiberglass based filler, as a base to help block moisture and give strength to the repair, and then use a filler such as Rage Gold on top of that to help get a smoother finish easier. Both products are Evercoat brand and should be available at finer auto-body supply stores. NAPA might carry such products, but I can't say for sure if they do or not.

bobs409

Administrator
Those areas are a problem. In most cases, it will crack again especially if you use any type of filler instead of lead. I've never used the lead myself but I believe Eastwood company does sell it.

They showed it being used on the '56 on American Hot Rod and it didn't look too complicated. It's easy to shape as it's soft. (I would file it to shape)

Just something to consider...

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
Lead filler is just as prone to cracking as plastic fillers if proper preperation isn't completed. The problem with lead is that it requires the use of a flame, which could lead to warping of the substrate sheetmetal if not done properly. Plastic fillers avoid this risk and are just as viable of a solution as lead.

pjdaoust

80 Monte Sway bar to fit Impala X-Frame

I see in your post on 348-409 forum about using a 80's Monte sway bar on an X-framed Impala.

I have a 63 Impala which has the 605 steering box on it and with the stock sway bar (5/8") it displays lots of under steer and nervous steering actually the steering really occillates between over and understeer on a right hand curve.

All this was probably there all the while after a 1" rear stabilizer was installed but the problem was magnified when I added the 605 steering box thereby refining the feel and unmasking this occillating steering problem.

My plan was to add a larger (1") front sway bar to calm down the old girl but after reading about all the fit problems others have encountered I decided to find a better way. That's when I found your post about using a Monte sway bar.

Can you give some more detail about how you went about this transplant ?

My e-mail address is pjdaoust@mindspring.com. Either post here or email me. Thanks.

Paul J. Daoust

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Sway Bar Mount

Need Two 2 by 4 1/4 steel plates too weld to frame. Drill them for 3/8 counter
sunk bolts, Tack weld them on Top. Studs will point down for Bar mt.

The center of Bar, will Mount 2 in. back toward motor from center of back Bumper bolt hole.

The A - Arm mount needs to move to 12 1/2 in. from center of bushing bolt on
A-arm.( It's not hard to get off) Will need to work little to get fit and weld back on

It may be better to bolt it back on if arms are on Car. Heat may or may hurt it with
Coil spring in there.

You need to use your best judgement on All this. Disclaimer

Hope it helps.

Dale

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Va348 said:
Need Two 2 by 4 1/4 steel plates too weld to frame. Drill them for 3/8 counter
sunk bolts, Tack weld them on Top. Studs will point down for Bar mt.

The center of Bar, will Mount 2 in. back toward motor from center of back Bumper bolt hole.

The A - Arm mount needs to move to 12 1/2 in. from center of bushing bolt on
A-arm.( It's not hard to get off) Will need to work little to get fit and weld back on

It may be better to bolt it back on if arms are on Car. Heat may or may hurt it with
Coil spring in there.

You need to use your best judgement on All this. Disclaimer

Hope it helps.

Dale
A picture is worth a thousand words. You have any pics of the retrofit?

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Pic are allready here on update on 61 Has one on sway,I just looked to make sure. There is right many pic, you should get Idea. I took all measurment off frame this morning.

Dale

droptop62ss

Well Known Member
Dale,
I was wondering what size tires you are going to run on the front
of your . Do you think that the sway bar might get in the way of a
17" wheel ?

Thanks
Andy

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Hi Andy

I am not sure,I will measure that monday and get back to you Mon. night.Thats
what I planing on using. I think I have ck before, but let me make sure.

You need to see the dash in it now 2000 Camaro gauges,radio, heat & temp
controls, console, shifter. 2004 monte Carlo seats. Looks like it came from factory.

Dale

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sounds like it's coming right along Dale. :cheers We'd love to see some pictures of that interior if you get a chance to post some.

Va348

Supporting Member 1
Andy

Tire will hit Bar 1/2 before it hit frame, Bar has a cruve in starting at Tie rods going toward wheel, Goes straight back with frame untill tie rod.

Jim ss409

I will post some pic. Need to have dev. and put on disc. Car is not finish still need
to paint outside.

Everbody that Looks at the dash, Loves it! Really does look like it was made for it.
150 mph speed 7000 rpm tach all gauges.

Dale

droptop62ss

Well Known Member
Hey Dale ,
Can't wait to see the picture sof the dash .I've been struggling to come up with
something different for the gauges in my car . I emailed Rad Rides about making me up a dash but when they building the cars that they build they weren't intrested !
But I know if I gave them the car and a blank check it wouldn't be a problem !
Thanks for sharing your ideas with us I know a few of us will be using some of them!

Andy