Update on BA 409

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I recall dragging that jig out of the weeds last year :).

I hope to stop by today or tomorrow to drop off some more "used" parts (583 heads, rockers, etc.) and some "ring & pinion" greenbacks for the old Pontiac rear :).

On the way back from Bowling Green James and I talked about taking a detour and drag out a fitted truck block, slap some 583s on it and go run at the Meltdown at Byron, IL mid-July with a replacement engine and rear end (and possibly drive shaft). At least that's the plan for today :).

We had hoped to slip the refreshened stroker engine in it's stead, but one cylinder has us scratching our heads for a solution that might take some time. Don't have anyone local that can handle the repair in a timely fashion. So we decided to pull out a fresh fitted truck block based on the standard crank, BBC rods and KB-Icon pistons. I had that one set aside for another project, but things have changed. I noted from another source that the KB-Icons weigh 896 grams with the pin, does that sound right? Can't remember the weight of the stock GM forged pistons with pins...

Cheers!
TomK

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Icon pistons weigh,for the 6.135 rod,743 piston/135 for the pin.I've always heard that the TRW's were over 1,000 grams,but don't know if that included the pin or not.These I cons are rated for 10-1 in a car block.A truck block will have less.