Update on temp

mac1

Well Known Member
Well I put the hood back on yesterday and went to a show about 20 miles away, mostly freeway driving. Outside temps were about 90 with very high humidity. At 2400 rpm's and around 65 mph the temp quickly shot up to 190, then to 200 degrees with 15 minutes of stop and go driving. No a/c on,(not hooked up yet)) 160 thermostat with 15% antifreeze. I can only wonder what the temps would have been with the a/c on. :dunno So the hood off definitely was a factor in my lower temps. I'm OK with these temps. They sound within reason for these motors. Just as long as they stay below 200.:brow Theres you solution for overheating Nuts, just take off your hood.:brow

Question, I using an Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb, that I took off my 327.
This one is calibrated out of the box for moderate power and economy.
Is this enough for this motor? I have the idle mixture screws opened out just 1.5 turns, as this is were I got my highest vacuum reading, but on my 327, they were 2 1/2 out. Idle is OK with 3/4 race cam, a little lumpity but not to aggressive. Should I change out carb to a 650 or 750, maybe thunder or performer edie??? or just leave it alone? Thanks Mac

pg409

Well Known Member
Our '63 has a 340hp/glide and is a stock rebuild, but .060 bore.
Stock fan clutch and shroud, recored stock rad with extra rows...
3:36 rear. Just drove 140 miles today with a bunch of guys for
a picnic. Temps were 87 degrees F. No stop and go driving, but
temp gauge stayed at 170 ALL DAY. We also run an Edelbrock 600...
GAs mileage is 15 mpg (US GAllon)

We have run in warmet weather (95F) pulling our tent trailer and
only occasionally neared 200 degrees.

Oh, i almost forgot, we run 50/50 anti freeze/water mix as we store
our cars in unheated shops in the winter.

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
One 600 cfm feeding 409 w/ a cam?

mac1 said:
Well I put the hood back on yesterday and went to a show about 20 miles away, mostly freeway driving. Outside temps were about 90 with very high humidity. At 2400 rpm's and around 65 mph the temp quickly shot up to 190, then to 200 degrees with 15 minutes of stop and go driving. No a/c on,(not hooked up yet)) 160 thermostat with 15% antifreeze. I can only wonder what the temps would have been with the a/c on. :dunno So the hood off definitely was a factor in my lower temps. I'm OK with these temps. They sound within reason for these motors. Just as long as they stay below 200.:brow Theres you solution for overheating Nuts, just take off your hood.:brow

Question, I using an Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm carb, that I took off my 327.
This one is calibrated out of the box for moderate power and economy.
Is this enough for this motor? I have the idle mixture screws opened out just 1.5 turns, as this is were I got my highest vacuum reading, but on my 327, they were 2 1/2 out. Idle is OK with 3/4 race cam, a little lumpity but not to aggressive. Should I change out carb to a 650 or 750, maybe thunder or performer edie??? or just leave it alone? Thanks Mac

Does your 409 have hi-po heads? Do you have a carb spacer or a baseplate?

If with a cam and hipo heads, and 409 c.i., and assuming the timing and advances are ALL set correctly, it sounds to me that you are using jets that may be a bit on the lean side. Your 1406 out of box, should have .098" jets primary, .095' secondary, with 1459 (075 x 047) rods. I'm also assuming you have a 1x4 intake.

Edelbock manual at : http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_1406.html and check the graphic layout for which jet/rod combos to use to boost up 1.5 to 2 notches richer... in both the cruise and power modes. This will bring you near the #23 black dot on the graph.... then, to view the recommendations for the primaries and/or rods, drop down to the next table to row #23...

Then drop down further on the manual's page for the "2nd stage rich' recommendations for the secondaries.

That #23 black dot thus translates to changing to the 1455 (073 x 042) rods, and using .101's in the secondaries... that will bring you to running about 8% richer in both primaries and secondaries.... it's all trial and error..

Your running a 409 that has ~20% more cubic inches than a 327... you've got to feed it more energy!

So, going two stages richer (8%) seems to me to be a good starting point for you...you may even end up going richer yet, to 12%, or dot #19, which translates to changing to a 1449 (070 x 037) rod, and .104" secondaries.

Try it.... trial and error.

Denis

mac1

Well Known Member
Thanks for the fast replies guys. Dennis, I have 333 heads that have been ported and polished with 209/172 valves, 9.5 to 1 net compression, ross forged pistons and a single carb intake with carb spacer. Timing is good with 12 initial and MSD ready to run distributor using the light blue springs and manifold vacuum all in by 3000 rpm. I'm not experienced in rebuilding carbs but am willing to give it a try. I'll get the 1455 rod for the primary and the .101 jet for the secondary and see what happens. Thanks Mac

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Went to your homepage

mac1 said:
Thanks for the fast replies guys. Dennis, I have 333 heads that have been ported and polished with 209/172 valves, 9.5 to 1 net compression, ross forged pistons and a single carb intake with carb spacer. Timing is good with 12 initial and MSD ready to run distributor using the light blue springs and manifold vacuum all in by 3000 rpm. I'm not experienced in rebuilding carbs but am willing to give it a try. I'll get the 1455 rod for the primary and the .101 jet for the secondary and see what happens. Thanks Mac

Mac,

Your 62 is truly a gorgeous car! Get back to me on how the 409 runs with the richer setting.

Denis

b-d409

Well Known Member
I think it's the fan shroud

Mac,

I looked at the pictures on your home page, and I believe your overheating my be the result of using the incorrect fan shroud. If you are using the same shroud that is shown in the top right picture on page 4 (where you click for more pictures), you are using the wrong shroud.

The 409 and 327 shrouds are different. The 327 shroud is deeper. Using a 327 shroud on a 409 engine burries the fan (or completely covers it) due to its depth. With the fan burried the volume of air that you are pulling is dramatically decreased. The correct position of the fan should be half covered when looking straight down at it. Or in another words, the back half of the fan blades should be sticking out past the rear of the shroud. You won't believe the diffence in air flow when the fan is positioned correctly.

I had a similar overheating problem a couple of years ago and the shroud was the cause. I cut my 327 shroud down so the fan was in the correct position. I've never had an overheating problem since. It dropped engine temps 20 deg +.

Hope this helps, Dan

Attachments

• Fan 1.jpg
    Fan 1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Fan 2.jpg
    Fan 2.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 47

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
b-d409 said:
Mac,

I looked at the pictures on your home page, and I believe your overheating my be the result of using the incorrect fan shroud. If you are using the same shroud that is shown in the top right picture on page 4 (where you click for more pictures), you are using the wrong shroud Dan

Mac,I agree with Dan your fan should be in half way in the shroud,like Dans photo.

mac1

Well Known Member
Thanks guys, Just got back from work. I have the correct 348/409 fan shroud. I need to update my website. The fan is half in and half out. The engine doesn't really run hot, just hotter with the hood back on. It's runs between 165 and 200 degrees just depending on the weather. I purchased and installed an Edelbrock 1806, 650 cfm thunder carb with an electric choke. Definite improvement over the 1406. I don't have anymore bog on acceleration from start. I called the Edelbrock tech line and they confirmed what Dennis said that the 1406 was to lean for a 409. Hers some more pics. Mac
HYVCG-6-26-06(1).JPG

GMGUH-6-26-06.JPG

IIJSR-6-26-06(2).JPG

DMEKL-6-26-06(3).JPG

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
mac1 said:
I purchased and installed an Edelbrock 1806, 650 cfm thunder carb with an electric choke. Definite improvement over the 1406. I don't have anymore bog on acceleration from start. I called the Edelbrock tech line and they confirmed what Dennis said that the 1406 was to lean for a 409. . Mac

Great carb , EH ??? The rest of you should check out Mac`s car on his site !!!

SUPER NICE !! and the chic ain`t bad either,,,:clap

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Looking good!

Mac, that car looks really great! My Dad had a '62 convert when I was a teen, and I wish I had one as well. I had to "settle" for a 2 door coupe, but at least it has the same colors as Dad's :).

Nice detail, love what's inside the engine bay. Interesting how you routed the fuel line from the pump to filter!

Cheers!
TomK

mac1

Well Known Member
Nothing wrong with a 2 door coup, Tom. I ran the fuel line that way because I thought it would interfere with my a/c compressor brackets. Still waiting to get the system charged up. That model in the pictures was gorgeous! Ahh, I tried to hit on her but my wife was watching and I caught hell on the way home.:cuss Oh hell, I probably have 30 years on her, but who's counting. :D
Glad I'm finally done with the car. I took the whole front clip off, (again), and sandblasted, wire wheeled and powered and painted ever thing. Used stainless fasteners to put back together. I think I lost 10 lbs in the process, but oh boy, what allot of fun. I got so involved with the car, I turned down sex with the wife a few times. She finally told me she hated my car.:roll Things are getting back to normal and I plan on going to allot of shows in the next couple of months. I'm going to an all GM show in Van Nuys, Ca. this Sunday if anyone else is going, I'll see ya there. Mac