Upgrade 62 steering

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
My 62 has manual steering. I remember reading you can put a 63 center link and pitman arm on. What I am looking for is all parts involved to do this. I will be replacing all steering parts. Anybody got this info?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are you going to stock setup? You need a bracket on the frame for the slave cylinder, pump, pulleys, mounting brackets, and a hose bracket. Steering box ratio was different for PS, but no need to change that.
Don

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Sorry, not changing to power steering, just upgrading manual steering. Sorry for the confusion. The 63-64 has a better center link and pitman arm. I think tie rods might be different and possibly adjusting sleeves. I just want to order the parts right the first time for a change!

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
It looks like the second kit would have all the parts I would need. Thanks for the link.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
The 62 center link / pitman arm has a funky ball socket that makes the steering a little vague. The 63-64 style has a normal style on the center link /pitman arm. Since I am replacing all of it, I might as well make it better.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I just ordered the kit with all the ends and stuff along with a lower steering shaft. Headers getting picked up tomorrow. Man now that the front springs are in, it sits high. I will try to get a picture or two. Hope it settles a little. The springs are known to settle quite a bit!:)