Upper felt track for rear window on Sport Coupe models

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
So, I am getting pieces ready for paint and I have these two pieces of curved channel that contain the upper felt for the rear windows. These are the pieces that the rear window tucks up into when it's all the way in the up position.

I am confused what to do with these pieces. It looks like the U shaped felt channel presses into the body colored larger channel......or to describe it a different way, the felt channel is nested into the larger channel. How do I get the felt channel separated from the part that I want to keep? I don't see any mechanical fasteners. Do I just pry it out and try not to damage the outer channel? There is a small bit of bright work on the felt channel but I presume the new felt will come with that piece similar to the door panel felt....is this correct?

2014-05-30 07.17.46.jpg 2014-05-30 07.17.14.jpg 2014-05-30 07.17.00.jpg

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
DO NOT TRY TO PRY OUT THE FELT CHANNEL, I REPEAT DO NOT TRY TO PRY OUT THE FELT CHANNEL. First off those are called roof rail moldings and they are specific to Bel Air and you will destroy the roof rail molding if you try to pry them out. The best way to tackle this job is to clean out all the old felt then you can buy a felt channel that will fit up inside the original stainless extrusion. It is the same felt that is used on the early Chevy pickup door glass with chrome on the glass and may also be listed for 59'-60' Impala.

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob.....sedans are available repo. There are a hard channel with the fuzzy stuff inside. Boy ...just reread that...............probably leavin' my self wide open!!!! And they are pre-formed to fit in each door.

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
DO NOT TRY TO PRY OUT THE FELT CHANNEL, I REPEAT DO NOT TRY TO PRY OUT THE FELT CHANNEL. First off those are called roof rail moldings and they are specific to Bel Air and you will destroy the roof rail molding if you try to pry them out. The best way to tackle this job is to clean out all the old felt then you can buy a felt channel that will fit up inside the original stainless extrusion. It is the same felt that is used on the early Chevy pickup door glass with chrome on the glass and may also be listed for 59'-60' Impala.

Okay thanks. I am glad I asked....it seemed like I was about to do something wrong so I figured I'd post a question and ask for help. Thanks again.
Cleaning out the old felt should be easy enough. I'll look through my catalogs and see if the '59-'60 Impala stuff will work. I presume I'd be looking for '59-'60 Impala 2 door hardtop....correct?

Out of curiosity...why is the roof rail molding specific to Bel Air? Why is the Impala different? I have noticed the catalogs have different window glass for Impals vs Bel Air and I've been wondering why...???

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll let others answer who know better than me (most everyone else here) but I think the difference in the parts you posted has something to do with chrome trip on them or lack thereof compared to the Impala hardtop parts. :dunno

No idea why you have seen the glass listed as different for Impala vs Bel Air bubbletops. Should be the same with the only difference being whether or not it's tinted.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The part you are restoring is for a 62 BA bubble top and they are shaped like that because the window glass is that shape. 62 Impalas are a different shape.
61 glass & upper molding are the same and can be interchanged. DO NOT TAKE THESE APART. They are a 3 piece molding and once apart your in trouble, I know....

Last edited:

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Out of curiosity...why is the roof rail molding specific to Bel Air? Why is the Impala different? I have noticed the catalogs have different window glass for Impals vs Bel Air and I've been wondering why...???

The 1961 & 62' Bel Air roof rail moldings are painted steel with the polished stainless steel felt insert while the Impala roof rail moldings are polished stainless with a painted black felt insert.

All the glass is the same for both Impala and Bel Air in both Sport Coupe and Sedan. 1961 is the only year Impala was also offered in Sedan.

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Is the upper quarter window felt channel the same as the felt channel that the door glass rides in? Does that make sense?