Vacuum Fitting

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The recently installed 327 in the wife's Impala has the stock intake manifold with a Carter carb that has only has two vacuum fitting. One in the rear where I installed a T-fitting and connected the brake booster and a PVC55 hose. The other is small 1/8” vacuum fitting towards the front of the carb where the distributor hose is connected.
The problem I have is there's no other vacuum fitting to connect the transmission modulator. The transmission rebuild shop said I need a dedicated line for the modulator.
Question is, can I tap into the back T-fitting where the booster and PVC55 hose are connected for the transmission modulator?

If not, will this Trans-dapt 2584 Phenolic Carburetor Spacer work that has a fitting that I can use?
https://www.mechanicsurplus.com/products/90145070

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
One of the carburetor mounting studs on my original 327 was hollow which provided vacuum for the transmission modulator. See if you can find one of these hollow studs. I assume that the Carter used the same system as the Rochester 4GC.

P5050157.JPG.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Either of the rear carb studs were hollow on many Chevy carbs, I used one on the 59, 62, and 63. Show Cars had them, also available from vette vendors.

Reactions: 327

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll check those stud holes and hopefully they provide vacuum. If so, it's easy enough to chuck a 1/4" longer stud on my lathe and drill a hole. Thanks guys.

Update: I ran across this diagram that depicts using a 4 way brass fitting that connects booster, PCV hose and trans modulator. Looks interesting. I currently have a 3 way fitting and easy enough to swap it to a 4 way.

1467817446-__62_RPO_242_PCV_AIM0001.jpg

Last edited:

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It was my understanding that the distributor hose should be dedicated to one nipple.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It was my understanding that the distributor hose should be dedicated to one nipple.
There is no "flow" associated with either, I can't see why it doesn't work. If memory serves me it was done that way on many OEM applications. I'm pretty some of my early Corvettes had a multi prong mani fitting and those were hooked there

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Reading previous years posts on Chevytalk appears you're correct Mike. Tee-ing off the distributor line to the carb is/was a standard practice. Oh btw I checked the stud holes on a spare intake manifold that was on the self and the passenger rear bolt holes does provide a vacuum where the other three does not.
Above replies certainly provided several approach and has helped answered my modulator question.
I think the easiest method is to Tee off the distributor line.
Thx all.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is my 62 Impala 327/300 HP with a 700 R4 overdrive and stock distributor with vacccum advance, Power brakes, PVC off back of carb
the hose to the carb stud is for a aftermarket cruise control.

P1010875.jpg