Vacuum Line Routing Help?

DENNISJR60

I NEED TO KNOW WHERE THE NUMEROUS VACUUM LINES ARE SUPPOSED TO CONNECT? DISTRIBUTER, CARB, INTAKE AND THE ONE THAT IS ON THE TRANNY. PLEASE HELP. THANKS

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Vacuum lines

Their should be a hollow carb stud on the right rear of the carb. This goes to the dist vacuum can. I used a tee in the line and hooked that to the tranny modulator.:cheers

DENNISJR60

I'VE SEEN IN PICTURES THE DISTRIBUTER ONE GOING TO THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE CARB. I HAVE TO LOOK AT THE STUD, BUT I'VE NEVER NOTICED. I HAVE A LITTLE VACUUM TUBE THING THAT JUST COMES STAIGHT UP ON THE FLAT PART OF THE INTAKE WHAT IS THAT ONE FOR?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Vacuum lines

Ok, on the 348 with tripple two barrel carbs the vacuum advance gets it's vacuum from the hollow stud at the rear right hand of the rear carb. The 283 is the same with the two and four barrel. The 348 with the four barrel takes the vacuum from the intake manifold port just behind the four barrel carb (this is the one your looking at), For the transmission vacuum modulator tee the line and run one to the vacuum advance unit and one to the modulator.

DENNISJR60

OK I'M KINDA LOST, YOUR SAYING THE VACUUM ON THE DISTRIBUTER GOES TO THE PORT ON THE INTAKE? AS FAR AS THE VACUUM ADVANCE AND THE MODULATOR WHAT EXACTLY IS THAT? WHAT RUNS TO THE CARB? I'M SORRY TO SOUND SO STUPID IT'S JUST THAT I PROBABLY AM. I'M STILL LOST ON HOW IT ALL ACTUALLY CONNECTS.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Vac line routing.

Dennis
Although the hookup that the others directed will work, I think that setup may have been used in 58 and early 59. Due to accessory changes the engineers probably wanted to free up that port for other uses. This is what I belive is the correct hookup for the 1960 348.;)

Attachments

• mvc-007s.jpg
    mvc-007s.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 257

DENNISJR60

I'LL PROBABLY CHANGE IT TO THE WAY IN THE PIC YOU POSTED. I'VE GOT ONE MORE QUESTION, IF I BOUGHT A POWER BRAKE BOOSTER FOR MY CAR WHERE WOULD THE VACUUM FOR THAT BE? AND BEING THAT I HAVE THAT POST ON MY CARB IS THAT ACTUALLY A VACUUM OR SHOULD IT JUST BE PLUGGED? I BOUGHT THE CARB NEW AND IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY IT HAD A BLUE PLASTIC PLUG IN THAT HOLE AND SOMEONE TOLD ME TO PUT A VACUUM THING ON THERE. IF I GOT THE BOOSTER WOULD I ONLY HAVE TO REMOVE MY MASTER CYLINDER PUT THE BOOSTER ON THE FIREWALL AND THEN PUT THE CYLINDER TO THE BOOSTER? THANKS ONCE AGAIN FOR THE HELP.

P.S. I GUESS IT'S MORE THAN ONE QUESTION.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Power brakes

What kind of carb is this. I can't answer that question with out knowing! If this is an after market carb you will have to ask the manufacturer.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Brake port

Look on the throttle flange at the rear of the carb. There should be a pipe plug there. This is the port for the power brake booster.

DENNISJR60

YES THERE IS ONE BACK THERE WITH A PLUG. SO THEN WHAT IS THAT PORT FOR THAT IS ON THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE CARB AT THE BOTTOM BELOW THE CHOKE AREA?

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Vacuum port

The vacuum port you are referring to was used on the 1958 model. The distributer vacuum advance in 1958 was hooked to this port with a steel line. This line would pe pluged on the 1959 and 1960 models. :cheers