value for a 61 impala 4 door

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Bottom line..............probably not. I wouldn't advise anyone to "restore" a common 4-door to sell it. Now if it's a 350HP 348 4-speed..............whole nother story!!!

Better off to sell it for someone to restore or part out.

Having said that.........I love to take road trips to Texas!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Phil's right as usual...

Phil makes a good point. Depending on what you include in "restoring" your vehicle, you can easily exceed the value of the car with a simple (but correct) paint job. The "more door" cars don't command as much value as the two door coupes and the convertibles. Two door sedans are neat, but also seem to be less desirable that the coupes and converts.

Four door cars, especially those with posts (the sedans) are at the bottom of the list in terms of buyers looking for them and paying for them.

Depends on how you're into the car, what you can clean her up for, and then finding a willing buyer. Remember, it costs just as much to hang a new exhaust on a $500 car as it does on a $50,000 car (well, almost!) and one commands a greater margin of profit. In general, it is really hard to make a profit on any serious restoration that includes mechanical refurbishing, good paint and a new interior, unless you are charging "shop rates" from a customer. At least that's what I think, but then I rarely sell things...

Good luck!

TomK

fastcars

Well Known Member
Maybe I just keep getting lucky but last year I bought a 4door with no motor or tranny. the car was decent and I payed $900. It had rust but only a very small amount on one quarter panel. This year I bought a 61 4door with a fairly new paint job, new interior and a rebuilt 350. this car has no rust. I payed $950 from his $1500 asking price. That car is all cutup now for the parts I needed but I dont think these 4 doors go for much..... atleast not here in N. California.

Mr.1961

Well Known Member
Never underestimate the power of a 4 door, they're the saving grace of all rusty 2dr. sport coupes/sedans and convertibles.

Thank the mighty lord for a four door. :pray

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Donor cars

I second that notion :)

Got this one along with a '61 Impala sport coupe. Sold the coupe, kept that parts car :).

Cheers!
TomK

Attachments

• May 14 2009 1961 BA four door 004.jpg
    May 14 2009 1961 BA four door 004.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 34
  • May 16 2009 1961 BELAIR four door DISMANTLING 009.jpg
    May 16 2009 1961 BELAIR four door DISMANTLING 009.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 28
  • May 16 2009 1961 BELAIR four door DISMANTLING 013.jpg
    May 16 2009 1961 BELAIR four door DISMANTLING 013.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 26
  • May 16 2009 1961 BELAIR four door DISMANTLING 016.jpg
    May 16 2009 1961 BELAIR four door DISMANTLING 016.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 29

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
I used a '62 Biscayne 4-door as a winter beater for the past 4 years. So... that's my take on the worth of a 4-door. They can be neat, but I wouldn't spend the money to restore one unless it had some sort of sentimental value (ie; your first car, the car mom and dad had when you were a kid, etc). The chances of turning a profit would be close to zero.