Value of 348?

skipandJJ

I found a complete 348 that has been in a shed for several years. The guy wants $500 for it. I realize it could have issues (cracked block, etc.) but it seems to be worth the price to find out. I want to rebuild it and turn it into a 409 for my Model A nostalgic street rod. Is it worth $500?

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Skip, I would check this out a little further before you end up with a boat anchor. Get the numbers off the block and check them against our forum info that is in the casting numbers area. If it is a early 58 block it most likely has the older style heads without the cooling passages for the plugs. This was fixed in later engines. It is doubtful that it can be made into a 409 since there probably isn't enough cylinder wall to get out that far. It has been done I beleive but it is rare. Cost would be a big factor also. You could put a 409 crank in this 348 and stroke it for less and have a tree stump puller. Check earlier threads thru the search section on this subject. Been a lot of recent info on this that you may find of interest. But first get those numbers and look them up or give them to the forum and the fellas will help you out. :):)

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Skip, Like w ogden said, get the casting numbers. If it is a complete motor it is worth the 500.00. Where in Washington are you?

skipandJJ

Thanks

wow....it seems I have much to learn here. Ideally, I would like an old 409 that is as original as possible to rebuild. Any ideas where to start and how much I should pay? I don't know if the guy will take the time to get me the numbers (the engine is several hundred miles away). But I'll ask anyway.

Thanks again.

skipandJJ

Three stump puller?

Not sure what a three stump puller is? I was planning to put a 409 crank in it and bore it, if necessary if there is still room. Will it not accept a 409 crank? I will go to the earlier threads to make sure I am not asking questions that have already been answered. Thanks, guys!

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
fitting subject

lots of past threads on this subject. The 409 crank fits into the 348 block with out any modifications.

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Skip and JJ,

Welcome to our asylum for the terminally W-minded:hug

A 409 crank in a 348 is a drop in with special pistons and will get you into the 377 to 380 ci range depending on overbore. To get to the 409 ci neighborhood you will need to use a 3.76 stroke BBC crank which is not a drop in and special pistons. Obviously option 2 costs more. With all of that said, search the 348 stroker threads and the 348 build thread and I think you will find many suggestions that will allow you to build even a 348 (stock stroke) that will make that Model A fly! 300 HP is easily achievable with a 348 and in a light car like your Model A that is enough to destroy tires and increase your heart rate at the press of the throttle.:brow

BTW both of my sons (both grown) spent time wrenching in the garage with me and those are precious memories. I am guessing JJ is your son and time spent with him on a hotrod project will be a great time for both of you.

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
Another option, which the purists probably will not go for: re do the 348, and call it a 409-if you have too, other than members of this panel and a few Chevy fans versed in head design and numbers, nobody will know, or probably care. It still has that crazy valve cover that gets all the attention. And a 348 will pull very well.