Value of a 409 crank?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Just out of curiosity, what do you think the value range is for a 409 crank, all cleaned up and standard on the mains and rod journals? What about the values for a machine-shop prepped 10-10 crank? While we are at it, what would be the value of a "Winchester" 409 crank (30-30)? Just how far can you go on a stock 409 crank before you sacrifice reliability?

Thanks in advance,

TomK

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
It's not how much

It's how it is cut. There is a science to the cut and radius at the cheeks that determine strength. Lots of cranks get cut to the Honda rod journal size (small) without concern for strength. I think 40 under is ok for a stock 409 crank if the radius is correct. Here is a quote from Pop Hotrodding: The fillet radius on a crank has far more to do with its fatigue life than does the journal diameter. This being the case, attention to the fillet radius is important. Not only should it be as large as possible but also very finely polished to avoid stress risers.

wagon409

I just sold a couple on ebay

I just sold a couple for $308 on ebay. One needed a .010/.010 grind while the other needed just a polish to be used but .010/.010 would have been the likely outcome on that as well.

They went higher than I thought they would......but then again I didn't think that truck blocks were going for anything over $500 at the time either. :doh :)

Marc

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree with models. I would use a .040/.040 in a street motor, although I have never had to. Most people will not use anything beyond .010/.010, if we were talking cast instead of forged, I would agree. It is sorta funny that we cut .250 of the 454 mains and then demand no more than .010 cut on the rods. I have recently heard one of our members say that he just bought a 409 with a broken crank, first one I have heard of. As far as re-sale , a std./std. that will clean at .010/.010 will bring the top price ( $300) Price drops depending on condition.