Value of a complete 409 engine

409Steve

I am wondering the value of a complete 409 Chevrolet engine, block casting #3857656,
Cyl. head casting #3819333, Block stamping on front right pad # T0527
OD. Engine was running [with video] before removal from truck.

Attachments

• KIMG0009.jpg
    KIMG0009.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 56
  • KIMG0015.jpg
    KIMG0015.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 58

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
It's worth more than that in parts :).

Assuming that a truck block with standard bore (possibly needing to be bored) can go for $2000, then 333 heads are worth $200, oil pan $250-$300, crank around $300 and timing chain cover $50, it can add up :) :) :). Might salvage the rods as well, but that's generally a wash if they need R&R'd.

A good deal would be $1200 - $2000. Just MHO...

Often times one needs to take the risk on a "running engine", but it's better than one that is locked up from sitting for decades...

TomK

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I threw away a set of 333. Pan $200, crank nothing would run a stroker. Block $1000, Timing cover $75
Bundle price $1000, OK, head bolts $25
You pay too much for this stuff.

409Steve

TomK,

thanks .. It sounds like $2000 is a good asking price. Is a truck engine worth less then one out of a car? If so, how much difference?

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
409 blocks meant for a car can be worth considerably more, they are more desirable for restoration purposes .....you can’t put a truck motor in a numbers matching car........ because of the casting numbers......I believe $2000 for a truck block Is extreme unless it were to be documented that the motor is crack free magna fluxed pressure tested and verified that it’s a standard bore......And even then I think you’re asking too much

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Kieth the casting numbers are the same for car and truck 409s it’s the deck stamped numbers that are different and the notch in a truck blocks. You could deck a truck block restamp it with a car code and no one would know the difference until it was taken apart to see the notch.

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I agree Kieth a car block is worth a lot more than a truck one. I don’t think anyone on this site would try to pass anything off as something it’s not but there are people that would.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I agree Kieth a car block is worth a lot more than a truck one. I don’t think anyone on this site would try to pass anything off as something it’s not but there are people that would.

It’s one of the reasons I come here..... because of the honesty of the people, the integrity and the quality of the people........ I don’t believe that there are people on this website either that would pass off parts with knowledge knowing they were something different....... most the time discussions center around the fact of what’s fake and what’s not and pointing it out to others ........the knowledge base here is incredible

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If I could buy a good truck block for 1000 i would and who would throw out a 409 crank? I could do without the 333 heads but those are good trading stock for someone that wants to do some porting. Last car block I bought was a 814 casting QB block that I paid 2k for it but had to have 2 sleeves installed due to some rust pits a little too deep.

427John

Well Known Member
Being on the subject of blocks,how many overbores does a .060 over 814 car block typically have left in it?What would be a decent price for 1 that has a usable bore at .060?

427John

Well Known Member
1 other question on the engine in the OP since it is orange does that mean it has been repainted at some point,or were the later engines orange from the factory?The early truck W's were the blue-gray color right?