Valve cover question???

BISCAYNE61

I have chevy 350 and I want to run the early corvette style finned covers . The set I have has no breathers. I have oil fill tube with breather cap so will I be ok to run these covers? I have always had covers with breathers so this is new to me. Thanks for any advice its always appreciated.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Only if you have the 1967 350 otherwise you'll need to provide more crankcase ventilation. Plan on running breathers and PCV.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
should be ok

Square inches of the Oil fill tube is greater than two 7/8 push in breathers. Just make sure you have a large flow breather cap on top. If you don't have enough you will find your dipstick popped out after a hard run.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Didn`t they change the bolt pattern on the later 350s valve covers?:dunno

I think it would depend on what year 350 you have,,

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The old stuff with the oil fill tube and breather cap used either a PCV off the carb or a road draft tube, both were from the intake at the back- what intake are you using?

Don

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
drill holes

hi i put a set of ford valve covers on 327 i drill the holes in cover installed groumt works great
gabe:doh :doh

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Somebody makes those with a big Ford logo on them- for the Ford hot rods with good engines. Wonder if somebody would ever do that to a 409?

Don

mikehd56

Supporting Member 1
Can anyone spell "Orfice"

1961 they did not know what a PCV was. They had an "Orfice". And they had a "Vent". Later when GMC came out with 350 cid small blocks the had a PCV valve ( a check valve) which took the place of the "Orfice", and the vent moved to the air filter. What our "W" friends are not telling you is that. What goes in - Has to come out. An engine under duress will have to excreat something either oil or crank case gas. So if you use older Valve covers on a newer engine. You will need to make a provision for it to breath. Older blocks had a port in the back of the block. Newer did not. Thus the need of ports in the valve covers.

broglie

Hi for the question on the word is orifice.
glad to assist.
My quest now is I have 6 cyl with one bad piston. What is less work, and money, fix this piston, or replace engine with a 283. I would like to have the 283 but what do I have to change. My trans is automatic, maybe powerglide
Thanks broglie