Valve Springs

09pwrd55

Well Known Member
guys I need some HELP!!!

I got a nos ISKY 505R still in the sleeve with a basket case 348.
The cam card didn,t mention any thing about the springs,So I called the Isky tech line. (the fellow I got must of been his first day) I think I new less about the cam after i got off the phone than before I called.

Can any one give me some advice on which springs to use without the rev kit????

Or with the Rev Kit ????,

I,ve got new isky plates with no springs or a complete crane set up. I was thinking if I went with rev kit it would be easier on the valve seats and less stressful on the pushrods,

Thanks 09PWR:

Morning. 09pwrd:D

I'm not familiar with the Isky cam line. What is the lift and dur @ .050" of tha cam ? Mech or hyd ?

I just went through some VERY time consuming research trying to come up with appropriate springs for the various cam profiles that I have. I think I might be able to help:)

grumpy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is probably no use whatsoever but

1973 Isky catalog

241-RR 505-C-62

Yes C not R but its all I got.

305-D Silicon chrome outer valve springs with damper
906-RH Silicon chrome inner valve springs
3706-AL Aluminum valve spring retainers

Cam specs INT 52-88 Exh 88-52 LIFT .558 Lash .025 DUR 320

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Springs

I also know a thing or two about valve springs, I'll be glad to help. Need to know lift, duration, solid or hydraulic. :scratch

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
How strong can alum retainers be?

I didn`t know they made a rev kit for W blocks. Part numbers and suppliers?,,,dq

09pwrd55

Well Known Member
Hi Guys this is all I got; off end of cam.

W79N MAGNUM ISKEDERIAN
6L 08 348
RR-505.C.62
247 (last # looks more like a 7 than a 1)

looks like roller design to me. Im guessing solid roller assuming cam was built in 70,s .

DQ- Rev kit or thats what I call it goes between roller lifters and aluminum plate that rests up against bottom of cyl head.
I got the isky (nos) plates from Phil a couple of years ago, and the crane set I got used off ebay with roller cam,lifters,pushrods,that were made for roller lifters.

Any body had any thing to do with that cam#
(I put the cam card away so I wouldnt loose it, Now its in such a safe place I cant find it)(they call that AGEHEIMERS dont they)

Thanks 09PWR

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Springs

Ok guys I don't know anything about cams or springs.I have a Isky 505 roller cam with solid lifters.(cam lift)--317.(valve lift)--558.(valve lash hot)--025. Maybe somebody can can come up with these numbers?09pwrd55 offer still good on them free springs for your rev kit if someone can come up with a valve spring for you.

grumpy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well I guess I got the right cam RR 505-C-62

The springs are

305D Installed Height 1.687

305D-906RH

135lbs @ 1.812
155 lbs @ 1.750
175 lbs @ 1.687

+/- 10 lbs.

Color code 906RH red
Max Solid height (coil bind) 1.120
Spring rate lbs per inch 330

Are you putting this in a 348 or a 409, it makes a difference. I gave you the numbers for a 409. The lifters are also different for a 348.

grumpy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
282 .............. roller tappets for 348 Kit of 16
272 ............ roller tappets for 409 Kit of 16
243 ............... pushrods for 348 Kit of 16 length 7.234I 7.562 E 5/16
263 ......... pushrods for 409 Kit of 16 length 7.296 I 7.640 E 3/8
305D ........... Outer springs 409 and most 348
205G ............... outer spring 348 335,350 HP only
906RH ........... inner spring 409
1006W ........... inner spring 348 335,350 HP only
3607AL............ retainers 409 only
347AL........ retainers 348 250,280, 315 HP only
707AL ........... retainers 348 335,350 HP only

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
rev kit

Originally posted by dq409
How strong can alum retainers be?

I didn`t know they made a rev kit for W blocks. Part numbers and suppliers?,,,dq

Rev kit, what rev kit, we don't need no stinkin rev kit...

WHAT THE HELL IS A REV KIT?

grumpy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Isky Ultra Rev Kit #240 only $20 in 1973 and free with cam and kit.

09pwrd55

Well Known Member
Grumpy; Thanks I,ll be using it in a 409 with 583 heads ,mickey crossram and a pr of 600 holleys with 2" stahls.
It,ll be real close I,m guessing (and hopeing) to Jims in His 57.

I,ll problebly be using the rev kit as Jim has the springs I need .

So this will make a difference in the springs so Grumpy one more time HELP!!!!!!!! and Thanks.

09PWR

OH Grumpy when I called Isky the guy said
180 seat pressure 525 open
spring# 9265 with 1.530 od
Does that make any sense?????

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Originally posted by grumpy
Isky Ultra Rev Kit #240 only $20 in 1973 and free with cam and kit.

I do know what a rev kit is !! I also would like to have one as I do run a roller cam.

Anyone know if they still make them ????

Grumpy ,,,I`ll double your money on the rev kit you have !! After all it is kinda old !!:D :D
pause,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I just went to Isky`s site and they still show that part # for $103
Picture of Isky Rev kit:
revkitL.png

DQ... A rev kit consists of a set of what amounts to "light" valve springs which mount on top of the roller lifters ( with the pushrod going through the middle of them ), and seating in pockets in a plate which rests up against the underside of the cylinder head.

I don't consider it unless net valve lift starts getting up over .600" with NASTY modern roller cam ramps... 260 + up duration, and expecting in excess of 7000 RPM.

just my thoughts

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
rev kit

We had this post before if you search backon Isky cams. I was asking about repairing an Isky roller. I have a 505-c-62, roller lifters, springs and all. The specs look mild compared to todays rollers. There is a spot on one of my lobes where it looks like the person who ran it before me turned it to high and the roller bounced over the lobe and knocked a small piece out of the backside of the ramp of the cam. I think this is one of the main reasons its a good idea to run the rev kit.

HARLEY :)

grumpy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
305D-906RH 175 lbs @ 1 11/16 " installed height +/- 10 lbs.

Coil Bind @ 1.120

Spring rate 330 pounds per inch

Allow 1/16" to 1/8" safety margin between top of valve guide and bottom of spring retainer, with valve in full open position. Machine down valve guide for clearance if necessary..

Good call, Harley... If the valves float even a bit... definitely a problem.

I'm reading the info on the valve spring recommendation.
HHHMM..:confused:
Is it just me, or does it look like the coil would be stacked at full lift:confused: :eek:

grumpy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm just taking it out of the Isky Catalog for 1973 as I said earlier. But your math is sure right.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
What's the valve length and spring installed height on 690 heads? Longer valves and more installed height give a better spring life and safety for coil bind or retainer clearance.

Rev kits used to be the big ticket in the 70s I think before better valve springs became more common. Some are still used for hydraulic rollers as the lifters are heavy and spring pressures can't be too much or the hydraulic collapses. Also big were the aluminum retainers(had Crane's on my 09 til it dropped one valve, got 15 if someone needs a set). I think now titanium is used for lightness and stronger, locks can't pull out as easily.

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
409 valve springs

Little trivia I read awhile back from an early sixties magazine.

They were building a blown hemi motor, using a gmc blower the springs they recomended,
quote " using valve springs from a 409 chevy they are the strongest available out there".

just thought I would share this I believe it was 1964 or 65.

Harley