VIN Dilemma

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
This has definitely overcooked my grits..........

The body shop that has been doing some of the restoration on my '59 seems to have "lost" the VIN and paint code tags.

I'm not sure how to deal with this after I get out of jail for kicking their @$$es.

Any suggestions are welcome,

Jack

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jack, You gotta do it legally or illegally. I would suggest getting a lawyer and sue for big money.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They never should have removed those for paint in the first place. Most states will require to see the vin on the frame which means the body comes off or you cut a hole in the floor pan. You better hope the frame was never changed out cause you could lose your car. Is the car already registered? If so, maybe you can find some one out of Hemmings that makes correct vin tags, with proper documentation of course.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Be sure

Are you certain you are getting your car back? Make them produce the car with tags that came in. Should match the title. Sounds like their problem not yours.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm just trying to think positively here, but they might show up. When I've got small important parts that I can't afford to loose, I put them someplace safe. But half the time I can't remember where that safe place is.:scratch Sooner or later I find the part though. Hopefully, these guys are the same way.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm just trying to think positively here, but they might show up. When I've got small important parts that I can't afford to loose, I put them someplace safe. But half the time I can't remember where that safe place is.:scratch Sooner or later I find the part though. Hopefully, these guys are the same way.

Jail's pretty safe,right?

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
They never should have removed those for paint in the first place. Most states will require to see the vin on the frame which means the body comes off or you cut a hole in the floor pan. You better hope the frame was never changed out cause you could lose your car. Is the car already registered? If so, maybe you can find some one out of Hemmings that makes correct vin tags, with proper documentation of course.

I agree, WHY would you remove those in the first place. Sounds very shakey.

bobs409

Administrator
As for myself, I removed mine so I could remove the rust that was bubbling out from under them. My VIN tag was practically falling off due to a rust blister under it. Cowl tag had rust under it too.

I put mine in the ashtray. Hey, maybe they did too! Have them look in there. LOL :D

Bob

Mike-Casella

Supporting Member 1
If I got the VIN plate info from my car, is there a link somewhere on this site to decode it? I tried to do a search but my stupid computer kept hitting the rev limiter and it wouldn't work.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike, After looking at the picture of your car and reading the description, I am not surprised that your car is not " completely original". I would not worry about it. :roll :roll :roll

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1

I know the tags were removed because of all the rust and the sand blasting that was done. I suggested that I take them for safe keeping, now I realize that I should have DEMANDED that. I have a parts car that still has its tags, but if I take them, that car is de-valued even more.

I guess I can have them take the body off again to locate the number on the frame.

We are hoping that they show up, but so far nothing... I may go to the local DMV to see what they say. I do have the title and it does (did?) match the car.

Jack

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:mad: It should be the shops responsibility to set this straight with the DMV. After you get this sorted out I would suggest finding another shop. Anyone in the car business that doesn't know that it is illegal to tamper with, modify, or REMOVE a VIN tag shouldn't be in business.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would not alert the DMV you will only be opening a big mess of worms.:bang It is common practice here to remove the tags for blasting and then re-install. Being very careful to duplicate the rivets or spot weld to match the factory.:bow As the DMV will notice if they are not factory rivets or spot welds.:doh A friend of mine restored a 57' Pontiac Star Chief. He also removed the vin tag and then re-installed with pop rivets.:doh Well the DMV came down on him hard and it took about four years for him to get it straightened out.:bang He was not even able to license the vehicle.:cuss I repeat " DO NOT CONTACT THE DMV ". I agree with Cecil that it is the shop owners responsibility to render this problem but, I know how that can work. You may have to get a little agressive.:takethat

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I remember reading about someone that this happened to before and it was a hassle but it required the shop owner to swear on his mother's grave and sign a written affadavit or "Statement of Facts" that it was necessary to remove the tag for repair and that he was the one that removed it. As I recall, the DMV issued a new tag and would not let him reattach the old one.:eek:

Your tag was spotwelded on and if it isn't removed carefully it will tear the spotwelds loose and there is no way it can be reattached so that it looks like it was never removed. If it was removed carefully without damage it can be rewelded with a spot welder by grinding the electrodes down to a fine point that matches the original dimple. I had to do this on a 55 convertible that I restored after recovering it from the idiot body shop guy that , guess what?, removed it to strip the paint!:mad: :mad: :mad: He then proceeded to skip town one night with all my front sheet metal, doors, and trunklid and the standup compressor from the shop he was renting. Before he left he took my car on the rotisserie to a storage yard and didn't tell me or anyone else where it was. It was a long search, but I finally found it and convinced the yard owner that it was mine . I finally recovered the VIN tag from the guy's ex-wife but never found the trim tag.

Proceed with caution on this one! Good Luck
:dunno

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would guess he removed your vin and sent the car to storage with the plan of coming back for the car at a later time, with a new vin of course!

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
I would not alert the DMV you will only be opening a big mess of worms.:bang It is common practice here to remove the tags for blasting and then re-install. Being very careful to duplicate the rivets or spot weld to match the factory.:bow As the DMV will notice if they are not factory rivets or spot welds.:doh A friend of mine restored a 57' Pontiac Star Chief. He also removed the vin tag and then re-installed with pop rivets.:doh Well the DMV came down on him hard and it took about four years for him to get it straightened out.:bang He was not even able to license the vehicle.:cuss I repeat " DO NOT CONTACT THE DMV ". I agree with Cecil that it is the shop owners responsibility to render this problem but, I know how that can work. You may have to get a little agressive.:takethat

I'm not sure what steps to take. We have searched the body shop and all the boxes of parts and no luck finding the tags. Now the shop manager is making noise that they (the tags) "maybe weren't there to begin with" by saying that no one at the shop can remember taking them off the car.

They have offered to "re-make" the tags, but somehow it just doesn't feel right.

In the meantime I'm told that I can't register the car or insure it. I think I really could register it, but without the tags later on where am I? Same with the insurance I think. If something happened would it really be covered?

If I decided to litigate this, how would I place a value on the tags? Or would I go for the value of the car?

Any more thoughts would certainly be appreciated.

Jack

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your DMV has a process for missing vin tags. Check with them. Here in Calif they would require to verify the vin on the frame, if it's a match then they issue a new VIN number and what's called a "blue" tag. It's a new Calif DMV vin plate riveted to your body. Not so great but what else can you do?

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm not sure what steps to take. We have searched the body shop and all the boxes of parts and no luck finding the tags. Now the shop manager is making noise that they (the tags) "maybe weren't there to begin with" by saying that no one at the shop can remember taking them off the car.

They have offered to "re-make" the tags, but somehow it just doesn't feel right.

In the meantime I'm told that I can't register the car or insure it. I think I really could register it, but without the tags later on where am I? Same with the insurance I think. If something happened would it really be covered?

If I decided to litigate this, how would I place a value on the tags? Or would I go for the value of the car?

Any more thoughts would certainly be appreciated.

Jack

Your only recourse may be to remake the tags at the body shops expense. There is a guy on ebay that has them listed so people can make counterfeit cars. Not to cool but, in your case your just replacing what your body shop lost. nothing wrong with that in my opinion and it would save a whole lot of headache. Good luck