VIN Dilemma

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It is illegal to reproduce vin tags and the rosette rivets. One guy that advertises the rivets are not orig. He files them to try to make them look like rosettes. But I just had this discussion with one in the know and it is illegal to reproduce these items. Was your year welded or riveted?

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
It is illegal to reproduce vin tags and the rosette rivets. One guy that advertises the rivets are not orig. He files them to try to make them look like rosettes. But I just had this discussion with one in the know and it is illegal to reproduce these items. Was your year welded or riveted?

Riveted.

I certainly appreciate the responses. I am thinking I'll call DMV soon to see what they say.

Jack

bobs409

Administrator
Your tag was spotwelded on and if it isn't removed carefully it will tear the spotwelds loose and there is no way it can be reattached so that it looks like it was never removed.

Mine has the spot welded tag and I plan on using 2 dabs of J-B weld behind the tag to re-attach. I think that will work and still look like it was never disturbed.

Bob

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I was just thinking can't jboatno4 "wash" the title through Alabama or Florida. My car title went through Alabama prior to.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D
Robert

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There was a gal on here a few days ago that said she could help with titles if you didn't have one. Maybe she could shed some light on this subject. Anyone remember her username? Bob may be able to help find her. She posted a week or so ago.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I was just thinking can't jboatno4 "wash" the title through Alabama or Florida. My car title went through Alabama prior to.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D
Robert

Robert,
The title isn't the problem. He has the title and should be able to register it if it was previously registered in that state.The problem will be when he tries to sell it or moves to another state or anything that will require a DMV inspection.

Jack,
I would think that if you have the title and the hidden VIN matches the title you should be able to get a state issued VIN tag and stay right with the law. It may require,and I would demand that the shop owner sign an affadavit or "Statement Of Facts" explaining that he removed the tag and that it was neccessary to do the repairs and that he bears responsibility for its loss. If not then I would say you have good grounds for a suit. The value of the VIN tag is a complicated issue. It will depend on a combination of factors such as the condition of the car before work started, the condition now and the potential condition/value of the finished product. In effect, without a VIN tag all you have is a collection of parts and in some states even that might be in doubt if you can't prove ownership of the vehicle they came from. The maximum value of the vehicle can only be realized with the original VIN tag but a state issued tag is better than none and depending on the rarity/desirability of the car in the collector market may have only a minimal effect on its value.
I believe you said your VIN tag was riveted on and that could be a problem since GM didn't start riveting VIN tags at the factory until 65. Yours should have been spotwelded on and if they removed it I would think they would remember it since it is very difficult to remove one without tearing the spotwelds. Not that I've ever done that.:rolleyes:
The first thing I would do is get a mirror and crawl under the car and try to find the hidden VIN to verify tha tit matches your title. Once you know that you should have a better idea which way to go. Find out the process for getting a state issued replacement VIN tag.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
There was a gal on here a few days ago that said she could help with titles if you didn't have one. Maybe she could shed some light on this subject. Anyone remember her username? Bob may be able to help find her. She posted a week or so ago.

Her price is almost double what other title companies charge. I have used Broadway Title before and found them to be pretty reasonable. They advertise in Hemmings.

jboatno4

Supporting Member 1
Robert,
The title isn't the problem. He has the title and should be able to register it if it was previously registered in that state.The problem will be when he tries to sell it or moves to another state or anything that will require a DMV inspection.

Jack,
I would think that if you have the title and the hidden VIN matches the title you should be able to get a state issued VIN tag and stay right with the law. It may require,and I would demand that the shop owner sign an affadavit or "Statement Of Facts" explaining that he removed the tag and that it was neccessary to do the repairs and that he bears responsibility for its loss. If not then I would say you have good grounds for a suit. The value of the VIN tag is a complicated issue. It will depend on a combination of factors such as the condition of the car before work started, the condition now and the potential condition/value of the finished product. In effect, without a VIN tag all you have is a collection of parts and in some states even that might be in doubt if you can't prove ownership of the vehicle they came from. The maximum value of the vehicle can only be realized with the original VIN tag but a state issued tag is better than none and depending on the rarity/desirability of the car in the collector market may have only a minimal effect on its value.
I believe you said your VIN tag was riveted on and that could be a problem since GM didn't start riveting VIN tags at the factory until 65. Yours should have been spotwelded on and if they removed it I would think they would remember it since it is very difficult to remove one without tearing the spotwelds. Not that I've ever done that.:rolleyes:
The first thing I would do is get a mirror and crawl under the car and try to find the hidden VIN to verify tha tit matches your title. Once you know that you should have a better idea which way to go. Find out the process for getting a state issued replacement VIN tag.

Thanks, Cecil, for the tips. We've already considered removing the body to locate the VIN stamp on the frame, however the frame was sand-blasted, hand sanded, epoxy sealed and then coated with bed liner. It may be tough to spot now without re-sanding the bed liner off.

It could be that the trim tag was spot welded and if so has torn holes into the mounting area that look like they were round enough to be riveted. I still have a parts car that has both tags that I could use but then I'm "faking" the car that's almost built as the other one and vice versa.

Sheesh!

Jack

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

My guess is that if it was spot welded they destroyed it taking it off and are using the lost it as an excuse !!:takethat

I would not hesitate to contact a lawyer.

Talk to a good lawyer and ask him if he can recommend one that deals with auto related problems.

If you do talk to DMV do it anonymously so they can`t come back at you,,
Good luck ,, this is BS,,,dq