VIN number location

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Someone said to me that the VIN number would be on the transmission for a 62 Bel Air. I have not looked yet, But do not recalling if I ever saw one there or on the read end housing. Any input?

Last edited:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Normally on the rear of the main case flange of the trans on the driver's side. Also, I've seen it on the top of the main case above the side cover.

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I would like to have a little more input on VIN number locations. I have a person hot after my car. When I bought this years ago from an older gentleman I was not interested in numbers or documentation. Especially looking for the right one after a very long time. But now days everyone is all about numbers. What a PITA....

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
On your 62 it's on the drivers side A pillar held on with spot welds. Those welds often failed and the VIN plate fell off. It's also stamped in two places on the frame on top of the frame under the floor. When Pat had the body off his Black 62 Belair Sport Coupe we looked the frame over closely to find them and I marked the diagram below. Small block engines didn't have the VIN stamped on them in 62. 409s did but that is easily counterfeited. I don't know if three speed transmissions and automatics were stamped or not. I'm sure someone will speak up.

1962 X frame VIN locations.jpg

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would like to have a little more input on VIN number locations. I have a person hot after my car. When I bought this years ago from an older gentleman I was not interested in numbers or documentation. Especially looking for the right one after a very long time. But now days everyone is all about numbers. What a PITA....

Back when I purchased the red 62 impala, I was all about numbers matching, too my demise (and I'll be corrected) vin number and drive train vin numbers didn't exist until 1963. And back when we we're kids it did not matter as we changed just about everything around.

So the gentlemen I bought the 409/409 loaned me that nice white paperback book by the numbers. The red 62 is a 1847 car only meaning it came with a V8 283-409 unless you where lucky enough too be provided the actual build sheet.

With that said on the bulkhead plate decoded the red 62 was built in July and the 409/409 was built in May and the date code was as close as it could be determined the 409/car where dated coded corrctly enough too be numbers matching. I would never disclose as the car actual being a 409/409 only a V8 car from the dealer.

If your buyer is really serious date code the motor/tranny to the actual body build date and as nice as the car appears he should be a Happy Motoring Camper.

I recently purchased a 63 409/425hp and it's going into a 60 Biscyane.

Happy Motoring!!!!!!!

Ted

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My 300 HP 327 doesn't have a VIN but the build date is a couple weeks before the assembly of the body. Is it possibly a replacement block?

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Is it stamped RB or SB? That would be 300HP 4-speed or Powerglide.

Yes, RB. Which you have seen. In fact I remember you fondling the radiator while you were looking at it.

Another point.....why in the hell did you buy a car without a 409??????

Because the car I wanted from Seller's estate was taken by his wife. I got the 300/327 and a 409 complete engine to go in it. I've never put it in..............

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
OK, I came up with this. I believe "unfortunately" that it does not match the car.
Transmission VIN 62.JPG

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The VIN on my 62 car is 21637A117435 (1962 Belair 8 cylinder 2 door sport coupe built in Atlanta, GA) via the VIN Decoder

And the guy looking at the car has called everyone under the sun to ask if they have ever seen the car or know of it.

I told him, he needs to call more people and then there will be enough to talk you out of it.

Last edited:

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nope, the 6 in the VIN means it was a V-8 Bel Air sport coupe. 6 cyl would be 1537.....odd number is 6 cyl, even number for 8.
A 6 cyl car would still show 1637 on the trim tag but would be 1537 on the VIN.

your correct:drinking

Chevrolet 1960 - 1964

1st digit - Model year. (0) 1960, (1) 1961, (2) 1962, (3) 1963, (4) 1964 2nd and 3rd digit - Series. (11) Biscayne L6, (12) Biscayne V8, (13) Biscayne Fleetmaster L6 (1960-61) or Impala SS L6 (1964), (14) Biscayne Fleetmaster V8 (1960-61) or Impala SS V8 (1964), (15) Bel Air L6, (16) Bel Air V8, (17) Impala L6, (18) Impala V8 4th and 5th digits - Body style. (11) 2-door sedan, (15) 2-door wagon, (19) 4-door sedan, (21) 2-door Utility sedan, (35) 4-door wagon (6-passenger), (37) 2-door Sport coupe (bubble top), (39) 4-door Sport sedan, (45) 4-door wagon (9-passenger), (47) 2-door Sport coupe, (67) 2-door convertible, (69) 4-door sedan 6th digit - Assembly plant. (A) Atlanta, GA, (B) Baltimore, MD, (F) Flint, MI, (G) Pontiac, MI, (H) Fremont, CA, (J) Janesville, WI, (K) Kansas City, MO, (L) Los Angeles, CA, (N) Norwood, OH, (O) Oakland, CA, (R) Arlington, TX, (S) St. Louis, MO, (T) Tarrytown, NY, (U) Southgate, CA,