W Block Timing Cover

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Guys,

I am loking for a replacement front cover for my 409 in cast aluminum. Has anybody heard of one? Is a BBC bolt patern the same. I could but one and machine off the water outlet ears if it would fit otherwise.
Thanks,

Robert

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cast aluminum timing covers

The bolt pattern is different. There are supposed to be some timing covers coming. Not for sure when, though. Was supposed to have been a year ago. I've been trying to find out myself. I'll post it when I find out.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Some guys on the sight have written about the Lamar cover. I think you need to space out the water pump because the aluminum version is thicker. And that would require moving all your pulleys. BBC cover has most holes differant plus the bottom where it meets the pan is also differant. Not sure if you can make it work. Front seal could work if you used a bbc crank but that's a lot of ifs . A 348 cover will work and can be a little cheaper, just have to make a new pointer. Bob

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Guys,

Thank You For The Info. On A Timing Cover. I Will Check Out Lamars Sight.

Robert

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Billet timing cover

region rat said:
Some guys on the sight have written about the Lamar cover. I think you need to space out the water pump because the aluminum version is thicker. And that would require moving all your pulleys. BBC cover has most holes differant plus the bottom where it meets the pan is also differant. Not sure if you can make it work. Front seal could work if you used a bbc crank but that's a lot of ifs . A 348 cover will work and can be a little cheaper, just have to make a new pointer. Bob

Bob,

You're correct. I have a billet timing cover.., which I bought off of e-bay over a year ago from a guy who apparently bailed out of his "W" project. I also bought some 4-bolt mains from the same person.

My billet cover has the SBC front seal, but, I was told you can have them made to accept a BBC seal as well (for stroker motors where you may not want to turn-down the crank's nose to SBC size).

None-the-less, the increased thickness of the billet cover does cause a fitment problem with the water pump. It's too thick to simply allow for directly bolting on the WP, without clashing with it. You'll need to build shims at least 3/16" (plus gaskets) to elongate he water-pump legs to give adquate clearance so it does not clash with the cover.

You then would need to also shim-out the crank pulley the same amount to get proper belt alignment. In turn, this will cause a need to fiddle with the alternator and A/C compressor mountings for the same belt-alignment reason.

I have both the CRW WP and billet timing cover (the WP was not designed by Lamar, but a guy named Rich Rejeski and is properly called a CRW Rejeski water-pump, and NOT a Lamar WP).

Both are expensive pieces and both unnecessary, except for "show". especially if polished. See the FORUM's review section for my review of the WP. IT does NOT cool a "W" better than a stock pump... operating temps with it were compared to be actually about 5 degrees higher than with a stock WP!

Advice: find a nice stock timing cover, and get it triple-plated chromed. As for the CRW-WP, if you need something only to look like its aluminum, paint a stock pump. You'll save yourself about $500, or more, that way.

Denis