W Engine at a reasonable price

55ron

Hello new member to the site. I have been reading for a few months and joined over the weekend. I have been trying to do some homework regarding the W eninges as I would like to put one in my 55 chevy 2dr Sedan. I had a big block in it several years ago and now would like to put in a 409.

As you know the 409's are hard to find and fairly expensive but I have run across several 348's at a reasonable price. I saw the KT Engine video's over the weekend and it sparked my interest. There were several of the more experienced people that indicated it would take alot of machine work on a 396/ 427 crank to put one into a 348. Is that true?

I would like to have 425 to 450 horsepower. I am not trying to be stealthy so a deeper pan with tray would not bother me so knife edging would not be needed. In your opinion can I obtain my goal with a 348 for $3500 to $4000 not including the cost of the engine?? I am thinking a .060" 348 with a 3.75" stroke (396) crank would create 412 cubic inches. The new Edelbrock heads and 10:1 would be pump gas friendly. A roller cam and balance.

Am I way off here??

Thank You,

Ron

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ron, You future project is a good idea, but, unfortunately, your estimate is too low. The heads are $2,000 . Maybe $6,000, but I would guess more like $7,000. You will find that there will be all sort of costs that you didn't think about in the beginning. But hey, its just money. Jump in there and go for it. Have some fun. Many of us are on the brink of bankruptcy because of our 348-409 projects. Join the club !!

Austin Bubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hopefully I will get an idea of what machining costs to modify a BBC crank for my 348 stroker this week while i'm dropping my block off. Most are saying its about the same as buying an Eagle thats ready to drop in.

I'm building about the same motor. I'm finding parts hard to come by. At least at a reasonable price. Everyone's looking for the same stuff and it gets scooped up quickly.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I paid 515.00 to have a a 396/427 crank machined to fit my 348 block. That was about two years ago.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
For the money difference I'd use the new Eagle 4". I wouldn't mess with an old crank when a couple of hundred buys brand new.........
................. just my opinion.

Dave

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I paid $500 for a running 409 truck engine. No fancy build. Stock original crank and reconned rods iron heads. I'm at $6000 and counting. kahchingkaching.

Ronnie, if it's only money can I have some of yours??:dunno:roll:roll:roll

:crazyRay

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
I went for over $3,000 on my 348 build and that was parts & labor for checking & machining block & heads (333's)with a cam, lifters, rings, t/chain & gears and a rebuild set. I didn't think that was too out of line. I paid $500.00 for the motor ( running ) For $3500 I got a nice running 348 that I am very pleased with. It moves my '57 just fine with a TH350 trans.Enjoy your ride and put it together your way. Listen to the guys on this site and you won't regret it.

By the way. Welcome to the site.:clap:clapLots of pics please as you go along.:crazy:cheers:cheers