Walmart trucks

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
It was the drivers log book that got them in trouble over the wreck with the comedian ( can't think of his name, Tracy something). Once they get driverless trucks they'll be ok.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
It was the drivers log book that got them in trouble over the wreck with the comedian ( can't think of his name, Tracy something). Once they get driverless trucks they'll be ok.
Tracy Morgan. The other comedian died. G-e-e-z-e, Walmart doesn't like to pay, their employees a decent wage. Most of their workers, are part time. That way, they don't have to pay Health Insurance, for them.:doh And they will never, get Overtime. Now, they throw this new truck, in their faces.:grumble

Brian64SS

Well Known Member
It's about time something new like this happened in trucking. I like the past as much as anyone but while cars have changed, trucks of today look just like they did 50 years ago.

The one big issue they didn't address is how they'll keep the much-lighter, empty trailers from blowing over in the wind.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
Lots of good ideas.

I'll wager that the trailers will be on the road in the near future. 4000lbs lighter with similar specs is huge. Nothing to rot out either.

What happens when the tractor breaks? Electrical failure. To bad, there it sits until its towed to a repair facility that has the software to work on it. A regular mechanically injected dinosaur will come pick up the trailer and continue down the road.

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1
What happens when the tractor breaks? Electrical failure. To bad, there it sits until its towed to a repair facility that has the software to work on it. A regular mechanically injected dinosaur will come pick up the trailer and continue down the road.

How is that much different than what would happen today? If a current tractor breaks, it sits there on the side of the road until it can either be fixed or another picks the trailer up to continue down the road. There are enough electronics in a modern one to put it in situations where it can only be fixed at a facility with the requisite diagnostic tools.

HemiChallenger71

Well Known Member
How is that much different than what would happen today?.

Its not any different than today. That was kind of my point.

However you know that new concept walmart truck probably has electronic everything, steering, brake control, transmission gear and f/n/r selector etc. etc. etc.

Has anyone here run a new loader with all the electronic controls and electric over hydraulic steering and hydraulic controls?

Licensed to kill

Well Known Member
Only watched about a minute. Just about puked so I had to stop watching. Sometimes I'm glad I'm old and wont be around to see what the world will be like in 30 years :yuck

482STROKER

Well Known Member
the turbine has air bearings and there is no oil to change ? I have been driving for 35 years and have driven just about any type of truck and trailer combo there is, I live in Oregon and have seen many of Freightliners test trucks on the road with different aero concepts like full skirted trailers and a few wild looking tractors but nothing like this Pete, we are changing 10-11 gallons of oil every 10 thousand miles, think of the cost savings on that, I bet there are long haul trucks doing 10 thousand miles a month, would like to know what the out the door price is on the truck and trailer, that's the most important bit of info they did not share

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15

However you know that new concept walmart truck probably has electronic everything, steering, brake control, transmission gear and f/n/r selector etc. etc. etc.

Has anyone here run a new loader with all the electronic controls and electric over hydraulic steering and hydraulic controls?

I've run loaders like that. Completly different touch with the pilot valves. Brought a new Cat 980G in 1997. Deere has a 8 or 9 cubic yard 100,000 plus machine out now with electric planetaries like the old LeTourneu scrapers had. Hope to demo one sometime.

482 Stroker.......do you have any idea of the milage gain of those trailers with the fiberglass apperatus on the back? I call them boat tails......

Last edited:

threeimpalas

Supporting Member 1

Not specifically a loader, but I've run large ag equipment that's all X by wire. There's a lot of safety redundancy built into those systems.