want ideas for cruising motor

57FANATIC

Hi All! my first post here, looking for ideas.
I'm building my dream car, 57 hardtop, and I want ideas for my dream motor, a 409. Now, I know nothing about 409's:dunno , but have always been fascinated by them. My basic parameters for the motor is this:find one that's never been rebuilt, and is not already worn out. Also, I want to put on a 3 deuce setup. Also want a 5 speed for it. I'm not looking to build a tire melting screamer, just a sweetrunning honey that can haul *** when I kick in the afterburners. I want a block that has desirable characteristics as compared to other years blocks, such as maybe higher nickle content or something. I understand that truck blocks have higher decks, is there any advantage to this over a passenger car block? Any info you can pass on is appreaciated.

Mike

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Mike,

Welcome to the site. Truck blocks have the same deck height as car blocks, but have a notch in the cylinder bores to lower compression. For your purposes a low power 409 (340 HP) will give you a good starting point and is compatible with your desire to use the 3-2s intake. Search the threads here for info on blocks, heads, and what can be achieved. Even truck heads can be modified for decent street performance.

There are also threads that can help you tell the difference between a 348 and a 409.

Look around and ask questions, there is lots of information on the site and a lot of experience and knowledge in the membership.

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
57 Chevy Good Choice

Mike,Welcome to the site,and if you need any help on installing a 409 in your 57,start a thread or send me a PM or email.I've had a 409 in my 57 Chevy for 25 years:D

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The lower performance 409 is a good place to start, or even a truck motor would be fine. Either way you can build a good reliable 350 to 400hp engine that will idle fairly smoothly and run on 89 octane gas. The truck engine takes a bit more work because it'll need pistons for sure even if it's in good shape because they came with really low compression. The truck water pump and distributor would also have to be changed but that's no real problem. You could also consider a 348. They're easier to find and cheaper too. Of course you'd have less power, about 350hp. But if you wanted something in between you can put a 409 crank and rods in a 348 and end up with about 377ci or so.:deal If you find an engine let us know, there's alot of guys that can give you specific advise on how to get the power and street maners you want.