want to run 295 65r15 on 15x 10 on my 63

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So Belair is your setup like stock with upgrades at the moment ?

1. I have a 12 bolt (originally from a 67 Camaro) that is the same width as stock. 60" flange to flange, Moser 33 spline spool/axles/C-clip eliminators, 4.88 gears. If I were starting with a new 9" housing like you are looking at, I would consider asking them to make it 2" narrower overall just to make installing the wide tires easier. Possibly 3". It can be a pain due to the low hanging quarter panel on our cars especially when you have larger/longer wheel studs in the way too. Also a deeper wheel dish just looks good.

2. My upper control arms (2) are UMI adjustable, but again if I were buying now I think I would go with Air Ride's adjustable uppers that have a rod end at the chassis end and bushing at the housing vs. both ends bushed on the UMI's. I had some upper chassis brackets fabbed that give me 2 more positions below stock to lower the front of the upper control arms at the frame to change instant center. Global West sells the brackets for a good price. They also sell the housing bracket for the additional arm.

3. Lower arms are Metco aluminum. The spring mount is removable. There was a good sell on them back when I bought them. I think they were $270 shipped or so.

4. QA1 adjustable coil-overs on a custom crossmember that is a bolt-in and requires no permanent mods except welding brackets to your housing for the shock mounts.

5. Single Adjustable panhard rod. Don't buy one of these. Get a double-adjustable one so you can center the housing without having to take the bar loose.

Out of all of that, the only things you really need to run big tires for just the look is the adjustable panhard rod and possibly relocating the housing back an inch if you want wide tires taller than 28".

2tons o fun 63

Well Known Member
Belair thats a load of info thanks a ton. I think i am on the right path with everything i am doing so far to do it right. Are the air ride uppers similar to the ones that global west sells for the nine inch .Like to know your opinion.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Are the air ride uppers similar to the ones that global west sells for the nine inch .Like to know your opinion.
They are similar to the UMI ones I have. Curved like a stock upper.

Not sure about any arms built specifically for the 9", but there are several members here that run a 9" and could direct you better there.

No409

Supporting Member 1
I run 275/60/15 drag radials, on weld draglites 15x8 4 3/4 BS, no tailpipes. I can go a little wider if need be, im still on stock Rear end. I think the 9" I built is a little narrower. car hooks and did hi 1.70`s, low 1.80 60 foot with a SBC and th350. haven't hit the track yet with the 09/4-speed combo

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I did 1.7 at Kansas, but could only leave at 2500 rpm or I would blow the tires. Even though the 1-2 shift was really slow due to broken syncros, it would still lift the tire on the shift. I was truly impressed. The suspension is working, but will be a touch better come spring time. I have a full 3 inch exhaust out the back, and it all just fits in there.

2tons o fun 63

Well Known Member
I run 275/60/15 drag radials, on weld draglites 15x8 4 3/4 BS, no tailpipes. I can go a little wider if need be, im still on stock Rear end. I think the 9" I built is a little narrower. car hooks and did hi 1.70`s, low 1.80 60 foot with a SBC and th350. haven't hit the track yet with the 09/4-speed combo
That's good to hear are they a pain to take on and off ,but how much is a little wider would you say. That new combo you have sounds awesome to me can't wait to hear about it.

2tons o fun 63

Well Known Member
I did 1.7 at Kansas, but could only leave at 2500 rpm or I would blow the tires. Even though the 1-2 shift was really slow due to broken syncros, it would still lift the tire on the shift. I was truly impressed. The suspension is working, but will be a touch better come spring time. I have a full 3 inch exhaust out the back, and it all just fits in there.
Wow did you get the trans rebuilt.:applHow in the hell did you manage to run 3 inch out the of the car I would like to see your setup if possible.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Trans is out at the builders as we speak. I will look and see if I have any exhaust pictures. The exhaust has cut outs in front, 4 mufflers, and exits by the rear bumper. Best of all it does not hang down anywhere. It was built using all mandrel bends and took forever to do. All welds ground smooth, so the pipes look seamless. I must have too much time on my hands.

2tons o fun 63

Well Known Member
Trans is out at the builders as we speak. I will look and see if I have any exhaust pictures. The exhaust has cut outs in front, 4 mufflers, and exits by the rear bumper. Best of all it does not hang down anywhere. It was built using all mandrel bends and took forever to do. All welds ground smooth, so the pipes look seamless. I must have too much time on my hands.
I bet you are itching to get it back and go test it out soon. What kind of mufflers are you running to need 4 that's crazy , I have 3 1/2 inch Borla XR1 mufflers with 3 inch exhaust and my car is just obnoxiously loud.

One other question is your gas tank right behind the rear like my car ,and you do have some time on your hands also a ton of patience lol , but that is a good thing cause it probably looks beautiful the way it's done.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I am running a pair of glasspack mufflers in front of the axle, and a pair of Magnaflow mufflers at the rear. It still really snarls, but if you drive it easy, it is decent. You can at least hold a conversation at hiway speeds now. Open the dumps and hold on. Yes, gas tank is in the stock position, same as yours.

2tons o fun 63

Well Known Member
:clap I applaud you ,I wish I could hold a conversation while driving aahhh ,but I don't really care to much about that now too much lol I usually drive by myself when I drive the car. Ok I wasn't sure about the position of the gas tank, so is that why you only went 3/4 narrower on each side to make room for that 3 inch pipe.

2tons o fun 63

Well Known Member
Mufflers can make or break the noise level. I have 2 huge case Magnaflows and mine is loud but tolerable. Tailpipes dump at a slight angle just in front of the rear axle.
What size are you running I'm running 3 inch with 3 1/2 inch XR1 mufflers , I didn't finish it totally the way I wanted yet Wanted to rum it through the the quarter by the dog leg but who knows I could change my mind

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I had considered oval pipe around the rear spring/tire area, but round pipe just snuck through. The exhaust is 2 pieces front to back, and can be removed. Not an easy task to plan out I tell you. I was looking for pictures but can't find any. The car is in the trailer for a while, but when it comes out, I will try to remember a picture or two.

2tons o fun 63

Well Known Member
I had considered oval pipe around the rear spring/tire area, but round pipe just snuck through. The exhaust is 2 pieces front to back, and can be removed. Not an easy task to plan out I tell you. I was looking for pictures but can't find any. The car is in the trailer for a while, but when it comes out, I will try to remember a picture or two.
Ya I bet it's not fun at all , when I removed the stock stuff it was a pain. Ok I can't wait to see what it looks like.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I don't recall exactly what size they are....but they are 3" in/out and the largest muffler that would fit. Ron at Clocks Off Racecars built the exhaust. All stainless steel, stainless steel Magnaflows and you can't see anything from the side of the car. Fits up really tight. Ron did a ton of fabrication on the Sick Seconds Camaro of Tom Bailey...of Hot Rod Drag Week fame.