Warner T10 popping outa gear

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I'm rebuilding a T10 for the 61 because it keeps popping
outa second gear on deceleration..........:dunno
Car has a Hurst shifter and seems to engage properly.
Second gear and the synchros appear ok but I will probably
replace them.

Second gear has about .0025 movement.....:scratch

Is this normal.........any suggestions to fix the problem...:brow

appreciate any help.........:beerbang

:cheers
bj

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
BJ

The engagement teeth (dogs) on second gear are worn from speed shifting!!! They have been rounded off and don't engage fully. New gears are being made to correct this. Also, they are selling synchro sliders that have hooks on them to keep you in gear.

All in all..............not a hard fix!! Just take the trans out.....buy a case of beer and whamo........the trans is rebuilt and back in the car!!

Or.............you're smashed and don't care or you're smashed and just bought a new Richmond 5-speed!!!!!!!!!!:roll:roll:roll

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Common problem w/ early T-10's , usually replacing the hub & slider assy w/ solve the problem. There is a updated hub & slider called a Torquelock. I think that is what most trans parts providers sell now. You may also have to replace the gear if the engagement teeth are worn any amount. I have also ground the side cover detent deeper w/ a tootsie roll.

I don't think .025 is excessive gear end play . :dunno

Hope this helps.

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'd order the Richmond........................Hey Phil, pass me another beer. :roll:roll

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanx guys..........:beerbang

Phil, I already put a 5 speed Tremec in my 66.....wish I
could afford it for all of them............:cool:

Denny, appreciate the advise, I'll see about a Torquelock.

Was able to compare 2nd gear to a new one and yup my
dogs are shot..........:doh......I think the last guy to own
this put new synchros on a bad gear..........:takethat

:cheers - see you in Thompson
bj

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
My muncie was poping out of 2nd gear too. Had normal wear on all my gear syncro theeth. Installed 2 TORQUE-LOK sliding hub assys. The gear shifts are much more positive now. Car shifts great and stays in gear. I was under the impression that the TORQUE-LOK hubs were developed to take care of the worn gear problem.:cheers

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Double Nickel 409.................

Please call me or PM me. I would like to visit with you.

Thanks.

Phil Reed
816-587-1109

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Where can I pickup these Torque-Lok assy...........??
No one around here has heard of them...........so far.........:doh

:cheers
bj

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
trans parts

Guys, call Larry @ 631-351-4837,,tell him Mike in Louisians said to call. He can get you what you need for your Trans. Been using Larry for years. He is one of the best. Personally I never drove a car with a (Grocery Store Trans) P/G Ha Ha. . But he has the sliders and the best gears available. :):beerbang

61jonny

My super T-10 pops out of gear, and a friend told me that was normal for them. Will this work on one of those as well?? Thanks- John;)

DIV1RACER-2

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
BJ

I also buy trans parts from D&L transmissions , they are located in NY . Mike is correct ......... nice people and very helpful

T -10's .... do have a habit when they get worn to slide out of gear on a no load situation . Just because it's normal doesn't mean it's right . :dunno