Water Next fro 1962 409 w/ aluminum intake

madchad

Can anyone tell me where I can Buy a replacement thermostat housing for a 62 409/409 that isn't chromed. I tried to order one from Show Cars and I recieved a cast iron water Neck instaed of a cast aluminum. Please help.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I bought one at the local parts house here in Portland. It`s a SBC but I don`t know if thats what you want,,,,dq

madchad

First of all; let me apologize for all the spelling errors in my first question. On to the real question. Is the housing the same on a SBC as a 409 and if so was it chromed or bare cast AL? Thanks for the help.

MC

bobs409

Administrator
The one on my '63 400hp is bare cast aluminum. I know for a fact that you can use standard small or big block water neck gaskets and the thermostats are the same size so I would imagine the actual neck is the same too. Not sure if any small/big blocks came with an aluminum neck though.

The only chrome ones I ever saw were aftermarket. (and known for leaks) :evil

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My 64 came with bare cast aluminum. The later small block and big block also came with cast aluminum, but they are angled to the left. The 409s are straight forward.

I don't know if older (60's) small block ones were aluminum and straight forward or not. I will look at a couple today.
Ron

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My after market SBC outlet is streight forward aluminium.,,,dq

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Check with dq, he found an aftermarket housing.

If you are looking for an original GM, the part no. is the same from 1955 through 1964 on all V8s and probably until Chevy went to the crossflow radiator. My part book ends at 64.

I looked at a 63 1/2 ton and a 64 3/4 ton, both 283s, and they had the aluminum straight forward housing too.

Ron