Water pump noisey

mac1

Well Known Member
I have a problem with going over 2000 rpms in my fresh 409. Sounds like the alt fan belt is slipping, doesn't matter how much I tighten it up. Under 2000 rpm its OK. Maybe I should get my a/c compressor belt on and see if that and the alt belt will quite things down. Does anyone have just the alt belt turning the wp and no problems?? Seems to me these engines had either a ps or idler pulley working with the alt pulley to turn the wp. On my 327, the one alt belt turned the wp just fine. Thanks Mac

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Mac,

This is a dumb question, but, is the belt new? Be cautious of overtightening as that can cause early bearing failure in both the WP and alternator. If the belt isn't new, replace it. If it is double check your pulley alignment to make sure everything is square and on the same plane. Also make sure that the grooves are the same width on all the pulleys.

Good luck, because I know this can drive you crazy:doh

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Also make sure you have the right fitting belt.

If the belts V is not correct it will sit either too far in the pully or too far out of it.
,,dq

dunhamfield

Well Known Member
Also, while you have the belt off, spin the water pump and alt. by hand to check that they turn freely.
I bought a water pump off e-bay that would bearly turn.

mac1

Well Known Member
Thanks for the replies. I the alt belt had very little surface contact on the wp pulley and at the higher rpms, it was slipping, so I installed my a/c compressor fan belt as a second belt from the other side and no more problem. Now I know why they came with a idler pulley. :doh My new problem is my engine will not run over 165 degrees. 80 degree weather. I have a 160 high flow robershaw thermostat. I'll wait until I put the hood back on this weekend and see if the temp goes up before I do anything. Thanks for all the support. Now onto the shows! Mac

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
mac,

Doesn't sound like you have any cooling problem at all. 160 degree thermostat, 165 degrees in 80 degree weather, sounds like the cooling system is working just fine. It really shouldn't run any warmer than that, under those conditions.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
mac1 said:
Thanks for the replies. I the alt belt had very little surface contact on the wp pulley and at the higher rpms, it was slipping, engine will not run over 165 degrees. 80 degree weather. I have a 160 high flow robershaw thermostat. Mac

I would say you have the wrong Alt belt. I would get one that does have more surface contact on the WP pulley even with the A/C belt on.
If putting the hood back on does not raise your temps i would consider a higher temp thermo.
must be nice to have the opposite problem that is common with our engines!!:p

mac1

Well Known Member
DQ, I take it you have run successfully with just the alt belt?? My alt belt does sit down flush with the v groove in the pulley, but it could be suspect.
I think the temps will go up once I reinstall the hood this weekend. If not, then I'll get a 170 or 180 ts. Should run at min 180 to burn out condensation in oil pan, I know.:)
I'm using a 7 blade flex fan from summit, (flexalite), that claims to move allot of air. No clutch fan yet? I'll let you all know about the hood/heat thing this weekend Mac
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html/7-blade-flex.html
7bladeflex.gif

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
why hotter?

Why would you want to run hotter than 165? Higher temps with todays gas in iron head engines over 9.5 compression will detonate and cause damage or force you to run octane boosters. Lower temps will only require you to change your oil more often.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Now There one I could Live With !!!!!

mac1 said:
TMy new problem is my engine will not run over 165 degrees. 80 degree weather.

Damn, why can't I have a problem like that ????? I never seem to take the easy road !!!! :dunno

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
models916 said:
Why would you want to run hotter than 165? Higher temps with todays gas in iron head engines over 9.5 compression will detonate and cause damage or force you to run octane boosters. Lower temps will only require you to change your oil more often.

Where do you come up with that ????

Boulderdash !!!:doh
I can run pump supreme with 11.5-1 and not have any problems with a temp that fluctuates around 200*!!!

I think some of you guys get too carried away and paranoid when the temp hits 200* !! Relax,,, it`s not that bad and won`t hurt a thing,,,,

Mac, Yes I`ve had no problems running just the alt belt .

Even though the belt rides inside the pully it could have the wrong sized V ,, as in too narrow.

You have to find a parts guy that knows what he is doing to get you the right belt or take the one you have with you and have them let you compare it to the stock they have until you find one the same length that has a fatter V.

You might have to try a few to get the one you need.

You also might try good shop that has a machanic that knows what he is doing.

With a fatter V you might have to get a slightly longer belt.

good luck,dq