Water pump question.

dlrablk58

We are having a build done on a 348 truck block this winter. It is the 3857655 block, stamped CFD and so far, everything is looking good. Wondering if a 348 & a 409 use the same water pump, if not, what is the difference and what is going to work on the truck block? Thanks for the help, I am sure by this being a truck block we will have lots of questions.

dlrablk58

Thank you for the info. Would also appreciate hearing from anyone who has built one of these blocks on what worked for them.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There are no differences in passenger car water pumps from 348-409 other than the casting #'s from what I understand. I believe there are a couple of different truck water pumps. One positions the fan higher if I remember correctly? As far as your 655 block goes there may be some casting differences in the webbing around the main journals. I am sure there are others here that can elaborate better than I but, other than that it is basically the same as a passenger car block as all the 348 blocks had the relief cut in the combustion chamber. As mentioned in another recent thread there were some 348 truck blocks that had 2-reliefe cuts in the combustion chamber but I believe those to be 872 castings or possibly some 5011 castings.