water pump runout tolerances

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
One of the remaining tasks on my checklist (to fire up the stroker) is to get all the pumps, pulleys and accessories lined up. I had purchased a rebuilt water pump from the local NAPA store and bolted her right up, thinking all was well.

Well it wasn't. Once I slipped the correct deep groove pulley over the flange I realised it was full of wobble (a technical term, to be certain!). Inspection revealed that the flange had been beat on a bit (probably by the rebuilder in his hut?). So last night we took it apart and put on a different flange from another water pump. I didn't realize how easy it was to put those on just a bit ****-eyed... So we took a gauge to it and found the high spots and did some "adjusting" (tap, tap, bam!). Got pretty close but still have a bit of a high spot. I did check with another pulley and got the same high spot location, so it's not the pulley (or I have two identically bent pulleys!).

So here's the question : What is the allowable runout on the face of the pump flange? I was thinking zero, but my recent experience now convinces me that it's impossible to get perfect alignment. Any suggestions?

I have set my deadline for fireup to be next Friday night. I need to have deadlines. I pre-oiled this engine about 2-3 months ago, and it's been sitting between the horns of the '62SS ever since. My requirements are not only that it fire up and break in properly, but shortly thereafter take a short trip down the road. So I had to get the trans/rearend combo lined out, install new brake lines and dual master, and several other things. It would have been easier to just get her ready to breakin, but I needed to push myself and it ready to roll :). I'm sure some of you understand. TomO, how is your weekend next week? Got lots of rooms in the house and you are welcome to stay over. It will be a late night Friday. Maybe we can harvest some parts for your project on Saturday while you are in town :)

Thanks again!

TomK

Ed51

Supporting Member 1
Is the shaft O.D. running true? If it is,you could maybe get a machine shop to take a cleanup cut across the face to true it up for your pulley. If the shaft is running out,the pump will probably be leaking shortly. Just my $.02.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Next Weekend

Tom - Great to hear that you have been finding the time to work on your project!! Friday night and Saturday are GOOD for me - Sunday have a B-Day party for my daughter. May sneak out of work alittle early and head over. The wife says no problem as she will have to shuttle the kids to activities. I cannot find your number so give me a call if you would. Looking forward to firing up the 62'!!!!!!!!!!! :beerbang

Time permiting a "Parts Harvest" sounds great!!!!

TomO