Water pump to balancer dimension

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
OK guys trying to figure how far off everything is here. Water pump pulley surface to balancer surface? I'm measuring 2.750 offset there.

Balancer pulley surface was 2.810 to block surface.

Water pump pulley to block is 5.600 roughly.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Skip, There may be different offsets on some of the pumps between years. Some have the pulley flange pressed on farther. Check at a good NAPA store.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Don't think NAPA will have different aluminum offsets. I had to stack 4 WP gaskets to clear the timing cover, and I think also the balancer was a little further out. Just trying to get an idea where my pulleys might end up as to where they should be.

A WP pulley is BO at ShowCars.

The Eddy pump is the same as my Z-11 in offset but shorter than my 64 pump.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just meant if you needed to check the difference in the stock pumps.Might only help if you used stock pulleys or pumps. Bob

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Does this help?:dunno
Water pump fan hub shaft specs.
:coffee:

Attachments

• FanHublocn.jpg
    FanHublocn.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 82

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Skip, Cecil just saved you a trip to NAPA!!!

Shaft diameters might be different also.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks Cecil just what I was looking for on the WP!I assume that is with no gasket. Show Cars gaskets are around 0.030 each and the ones that came with the Edelbrock pump are 0.050 but I had to stack them. Looks like with the gaskets I'm about 0.100 out,maybe only 0.070 counting one gasket. I think the ATI balancer might be about out that far. Now if you had the same chart for the crank pulley:)

I'm picking up the pan tomorrow from getting coated and I'll add some pictures of it. Slowly getting closer!

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Awesome!!

Saved me from asking you guys a question answered by Cecil's photo. :deal

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Cecil just what I was looking for on the WP!I assume that is with no gasket. Show Cars gaskets are around 0.030 each and the ones that came with the Edelbrock pump are 0.050 but I had to stack them. Looks like with the gaskets I'm about 0.100 out,maybe only 0.070 counting one gasket. I think the ATI balancer might be about out that far. Now if you had the same chart for the crank pulley:)

I'm picking up the pan tomorrow from getting coated and I'll add some pictures of it. Slowly getting closer!

Sorry, but this about all I have for pulley charts.....no dimensions except for a few specfic applications. I believe the W engines used pretty much the same pulleys as sbc except for maybe some cast crank pulleys. I could look it up in the parts catalogs, but then so could somebody else.

Attachments

• 65 Corvette Pulleys 1.jpg
    65 Corvette Pulleys 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 65 Corvette Pulleys 2.jpg
    65 Corvette Pulleys 2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 61

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Thanks again Cecil. I think you are right in that they are pretty close to SBC pulleys for the years.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Well the crank pulley is going to need a 0.090 spacer to line up with the water pump pulley. Quick Times makes some. Showcars is BO on the steel WP so having to use a billet set as a guideline.

Not sure if the Edelbrock WP flange could be pressed on that much more on the shaft without screwing it up.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The flange could possibly be pushed on a little, or machined down, or both. I have pulled them out to get alignment, maybe .090, because the shims can be a PITA sometimes.

dc

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The location of the hub on the pump is easily moved and since you say that it needs to be moved forward it would be easy to do in a press or a wheel puller would work. If it needs to go in then you need to remove the plate on the back of the pump and support the shaft to press it on further but the pulley is normally pretty close to the pump housing so don't go too far,

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
There is a ridge on the shaft maybe .100 back on the WP, so not sure it could or would go back all the way it needs to. I got the 0.090 spacer on the crank and we'll see how it does.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Skip,you might also consider the spacer that should go under the water pump pulley ,its called water pump reinforcement spacer.It mounts under the water pump pulley and against the thread mount on the shaft that the pulley mounts to..The spacers purpose is to not let the water pump pulley break apart in the center from all the pressure on the belts.There was a call back in 1963,1964,1965 to install the spacer.I believe Cecil has info on the call back.This could give you the alignment that you need.My pulley broke about 4 years ago,thats where I learned of the spacer that fits under the pulley..The spacer is about 1/32 to 1/16 inch thick.Purchased mine from Paragon Reproduction Corvette and Chevy Parts.Their number is 1-800-882-4688. . The stock number for Paragon is 846 and costs $3.00.. John

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
It's an Edelbrock water pump, also only 0.125 before the back of the flange would rub the WP body. The flange is further out than it should be partly from having to stack WP gaskets to clear the billet timing cover, and maybe from the ATI balancer being a little shorter maybe than factory.

A 0.090 QTI spacer behind the crank pulley seems to have gotten us pretty close.

Got the SS water pump bypass fitting in yesterday, slowly but surely we'll get to the dyno!

409deuce

Wow! Timely thread or what. Needed to put some external parts on the 409 today for chassis mount mock-up. The Showcars aluminum w/p and truck timing cover were duking it out. Showcars gaskets are pretty thin compared to some fel-pro gaskets I found. That plus some carefull grinding on the waterpumps back cover bolt heads plus a tiny bit off the top to clear the underside on the tri-power intake it just fits. Now to find some pullies and spacers ect. Thanks allot!
:cheers

2q8sxar.jpg