water temps climb at idle

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My first thought when I read your list was get rid of the flex fan. I have never had good luck with then. I was experiencing the same problem with a V8 Vega years ago. Ran great at speed but got hot fast at idle. Replaced the flex fan with a stock steel job and never had a problem after that. The stocker may drag a little more and cost a couple of HP but will pull a lot more air then the flexer.

mac1

Well Known Member
I've had good results with this fan http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=flx-1818
Very heavy duty for a flex fan. Warning: if you have hood insulation, it will blow it off. :roll:roll:roll

flx-1818.jpg

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Been There !!!

Well, I can relate to your problem !!! I've fought all the same issues you are fighting right now. Last weekend I installed a fan shroud I found at a swap meet and a seven blade clutch fan. That combinatioin had me running at 160-170 in town and I idled in the driveway for 20 min. never got over 195-200. There are pictures of the shroud and fan. I also installed an overflow tank for the radiator. The fan shroud is out of a MOPAR of somekind and fits very well. The fan is 1/2 and 1/2, everything was alright !!!

So I decided I could hook the A/C back up so I installed the condenser tonight...:cuss You guessed it, hot again. The temps climbed to 185-190 while driving and at idle up to 210... The temp here today was 90+ with no humidity should have been great but NOT. Still chasing my tail on this one !!! :bang

Attachments

• P7290236.jpg
    P7290236.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 67
  • P7290233.jpg
    P7290233.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 62
  • P7290235.jpg
    P7290235.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 64

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nuts-

What size crank pulley do you have? I had a 5 3/4" on my 327 and ran hot on my 327. Changed it out for a 7" crank pulley and she ran very cool. never over 160 on the highway with the a/c on and at idle never over 195 with the a/c on. I have a 165 thermostat in it.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
some really great tips in here....so, this weekend I'm going to clean/flush/refill the radiator with the Super Flush stuff in a jug as well as order a new fan to try. That HD flex-a-lite fan looks good to me! :clap

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Just because, replace the radiator cap also. I just had one fail. It would cool fine as long as I didn't sit and idle for very long. If I did sit and idle for a while the temperature kept climbing because the cap wouldn't hold enough pressure. In other words it would get hot enough (200+) and start to puke out the cap.

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just curious.........been looking for a overflow tank that will fit in my 64. Where did you get yours from and it is a bottom feed or is it top fed. Looks like a hose is going in the top in the pic. :dunno

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Tank

It is a bottom fed - I got it at NAPA $8 I think. Easy to install and look like it belongs in a 60s Chevy, IMO

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well for what its worth, I talked to a buddy of mine last night and we were talking about water temps etc in this heat and after he told me he put a flex fan blade through the hood of his 66 Chevelle a few years back I was sold. Ordered a steel fan from Ecklers last night. The radiator came out of the car to go get cleaned out. Wish me luck :brow

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just one more idea to concider. I have had the same problem with my 69 Camaro for years. 350 60 over. I know it was air flow because when I was sitting in that line to get into a car show I would put the trans into neutral and raise the idle some to keep the temp down ( fan speed up). I experimented with just about all of the suggestions talked about here with no luck. I installed an electic fan on the front of the radiator last year that comes on when temp reaches 195 and the problem is gone. I dont even look that guage anymore when sitting in that line.:)

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
see and thats nice too. I could always run a pusher fan in addition to the stock steel fan right? Or do you guys you try and hide one in front of the steel fan inside the shroud? :brow

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yellow Wagon,
I had temp problems at one time also. But most of mine was because of a auto trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator. Temp would climb fast when car was setting at a light.
I changed out the thero fan to a fan with spacer only making sure the fan sat half inside and half outside the shroud and then added a elec fan (I found the one that fit in the space inside the shroud and also moved the most air). My 409 now can idle the Woodward Dream Cruise length all 16 miles at 200 degrees. Was working on the car at idle last night in the garage with no air movement for more than 45 miinutes. Temp never topped 210.

Dave

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
how much coolant?? Tomorrow the radiator goes back in the car along with my new steel blade rigid fan...so how much coolant should I put in the car? 1 gallon (4qts) enough along with distilled water? The capacity is 17qts total right? The car is strictly a nice weather car. Won't be driving below freezing temps or anything.

just looking for experiences/suggestions :brow

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Pure water cools better than a antifreeze mix. Just use water, water wetter and a good corrosion protector. Maybe the water wetter has a corrosion protector in it? Just be sure to change it out before the long cold winter! My 60 Impala with the stock Rad would hold 21 qts say's the shop manual.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK good. I bought the water wetter already but couldn't find any corrosion inhibitor? Coolant has that in it correct? SO could I just add like a quart of coolant than :dunno

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
OK good. I bought the water wetter already but couldn't find any corrosion inhibitor? Coolant has that in it correct? SO could I just add like a quart of coolant than :dunno

I wouldn't think that one qt. of antifreeze would contain enough corrosion inhibitor to make any difference. I'm pretty sure I have seen plain corrosion inhibitor in qt size. Ask your parts guy.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I would think a gallon of coolant would be fine. Shoot for a freeze point of -10 to -20 that would be fine.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
alright.....so. Super Flushed the radiator. Didn't seem to do much. Followed directions to a T. Installed new fan. The new fan sits almost entirely into the shroud. I also noticed that there is less gap at the top between the edge of the fan and the inside of the shroud than there is at the bottom?? I just took the old fan off and never really noticed if this was the case??? I'd say about 1" clearance at the top and 2.5"-3" at the bottom. Nice fan though for sure. The front of the fan is not real close to the radiator but neither was the old fan....should I plan on buying a new spacer to pull the fan out of the shroud more?

Flushed the radiator like 3 times and ran the car in between with water. Went with 1 gallon of antifreeze and distilled water. Hydrometer says about -7 freeze point. Now, is there a trick to make sure all the air is out of the system? I can't "burp" my upper hose cuz its one of those ribbed bendable hoses with the wire in it. :dunno

Took the car for a short drive. Ran 175-ish just puttin around in the neighborhood. Sat for a couple minutes in gear in a parking lot to test it and she got to 200. Its better but the temps still climb. I'm still thinkin I might need to start saving my pennies for a new radiator/recore. :doh:cuss