water valve

Cory

Supporting Member 1
Hi Guys
I am having a heater related problem that I could use a little help with. The former owner of my 61 disconnected and removed the water valve from my 409 ,because it wouldnt shut completely and he was getting heat when he did not want it. My questions are, where does it go, engine side or inside in the heater box, do I need a vintage replacement or is there a modern part I can use,any info on this or the heater core replacement I plan on doing would be much appreciated. Early spring is pretty cool up in NY. Thanks to all Cory

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
Cory,

I wish I could tell you where to purchase one, but I have not had to do that step. In any case I would suggest an inline valve installed in the supply heater hose in the engine compartment that is cable operated from the temperature control lever on the dash. More likely the real reason it was putting heat in the car when closed was that it was in the return heater hose.

roaminchariot

Supporting Member 1
My valve has always been stuck open and I have not been able to find a replacement. If the heater trap door works right, the door does close off all the air through the coil so I don't worry about it. Here is a pic of how mine is hooked up

Attachments

• 06100037r.jpg
    06100037r.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 90
B

bowtieollie

Give this guy a call....

Joe Hudacek

hudacekjj@chartermi.net

He specializes in old heater valves. The original can't be rebuilt, but he may have a NOS unit.

If that fails to provide a lead, you can use a generic valve, but it ain't gonna look original. Make sure you put it in the OUT hose from the engine, otherwise, you can blow up the heater core the first time you let the engine WAIL.