Well, it would seem that I have done it again

PhilBarone

Supporting Member 1
Hi guys, I recently joined on here and got some great info about which motor to buy. Decided to go with the LS9 when I get to that point and I have the money. So I took delivery of the car today. A white on red 64 Impala with a 327 motor. It needs work but someone took very good care of it and obviously spent some money on it. The under side of the car has been painted black, could be POR but I really don't know. I'll have to ask the guy I bought it from. Nevertheless I'm thinking about selling it and buying something a little more finished. In the meantime!

I went and bought this!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...em=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT&salenotsupported

I might have stole it at $3550. The guys auction reaked of desperation so I bid 3500 and it hit reserve but when I found out he was leaving town I withdrew my bid and after talking to his wife and him I decided to bid again.

He says that he engine was overhauled a year and a half ago and that it was also painted and that the interior was also done. Anyway I bought it to flip since I really want the 64. If anyone is interested I'm not looking to make a killing. But what I'd really like to know is what you guys think about the car as much as you can tell from the auction before eBay takes it down. As usual your help is greatly appreciated from a total newbie. Thank you! Phil

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
The '63

Phil, you may have caught my disease, I call it "ADCD", for Attention Deficit Car Disorder. We already have vehicles, but the next one looks like such a good deal...

It's really hard to tell from photos, but the 1963 car looks OK. The price certainly is right. The key is condition, especially in terms of corrosion. From the looks of the trunk, one can see those corner body mounts have taken on some oxidation. Most cars of this era do, almost to be expected. But how are the floor pans, the lower portions of the fenders, doors, rockers, and quarter panels? You probably won't know until you get down underneath to inspect.

So long as you have the space to keep 'em, why not accumulate? That's my motto! But I've run out of space (have about a dozen vehicles, but if you mention that to my wife I will deny everything :)) so I've begun to look the other way lately. There's a possible 1961 Biscayne 348 not far from me, I don't even want to go look at it for fear of trailering it home. Already have a project in the works, don't need more. Since I don't sell much, accumulation can be a problem.

So bring the '63 home, do an evaluation, maybe fix a few things, and see what that brings you. Not my style (fix and flip), but someone might need that car to begin a project!

Good luck,
TomK

bignbad60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
63 Looks good ( pics ) for the price. The rattle can job on the top half of the motor would concern me on the quality of other " fixes " . If you click on the pics on e bay it takes you to the guys photobucket account , there is pics of the car being painted and some before shots when it was blue. Good luck, it would be interesting to see it close up.