Well Sorted 62 409 / SS Impala

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
This project was an estate purchase and being assembled for sale as a "Day 2" car. The car has NEVER been hit, no rust, no panel / floor replacement, and no bondo. The body is the best I have ever seen, bar none. Has been apart since the late 80's. Originally a Black on Red, 4 - Speed 327. Now a numbers matching 409 / 409. Block and heads are K--61 dated. Engine currently being assembled by Jack Gibbs. Heads have the ORIGINAL screw in rocker studs. Never pinned. New Isky 409 / 409 grind cam shaft. .30 Ross pistons, Eagle rods. Original crank. More to come as it goes together. This will be for sale when completed. A few pics from today's work.

IMG_4854.jpegIMG_4811.jpegIMG_4812.jpegIMG_4813.jpegIMG_4815.jpegIMG_4841.jpegIMG_4842.jpegIMG_4843.jpegIMG_4853.jpegIMG_4885.jpeg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice level of detail :).

Tell us more about what I suspect are 690s with original screw in studs. Didn't know that was a factory thing. I've just seen pinned 690s.

Good luck with the rest of the assembly :).

TomK

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Nice level of detail :).

Tell us more about what I suspect are 690s with original screw in studs. Didn't know that was a factory thing. I've just seen pinned 690s.

Good luck with the rest of the assembly :).

TomK
Originally these 409 heads were press-in studs, as I understand in my research. There were problems with the studs pulling out just as GM went on strike. Upon return, GM solved the problem by threading and using screw in studs that later evolved to pinned studs. Before I button up the engine, I will shoot some pictures. I believe Don Jacks can confirm, but I could be wrong. (Usually am). They are indeed 690's

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Nice ride..... what a beauty.....my under carriage was restored like yours, using DP Rust Color Sealer. I have kept it clean by jacking up the car a couple times a year, and using either window cleaner or wax & grease remover, after 6 years it still looks almost as nice. Yours brings back many memories of the work it takes to finish a full restoration. :judges:

Last edited: