West Texas Hot Rod Reunion

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
About 6 months ago, Delmer McAfee of Odessa, TX decided he wanted to get together all the old 50's and 60's drag racers he could from West Texas. So he and Jane put together a HUGE party at their place this past weekend. I really don't where to start so I guess I'll just start rambling!!

There were several names that I had read about in the old magazines but had never had a chance to meet...most with 409 connections. These included Charlie Thurwanger, Bryan Teal, Don Hardy and of course, Hayden was there as well as Tom Jacobson. I also got to meet Grady Bryant. Kelly Chadwig was invited but health reasons kept him from attending. Eddie Hill was invited but couldn't make it. All of these guys raced at Penwell, Green Valley, Hobbs, NM and other strips in that area. And many went on to be famous racers that we all read about!!

And then there was a "special" guest that showed up.....Valerie Harrell. She is Dickie Harrell's daughter. What a neat, neat lady!!! Her boy friend is Dale Pulde..the Top Fuel funny car driver. More on Valerie in later posts with pictures.

The stories and history that was exchanged this weekend was unbelieveable!! Charlie Thurwanger bought the red bubbletop that Hayden drove in 1962 from Bill Thomas. It was shipped to Texas and immediately painted black. Charlie and Bryan Teal raced that car together. Then, they got the black 62 SS that Dickie raced in 62. There are pictures of a white 63 Z-11 with Mr. 427 on the doors that magazines said was Dickie Harrell's car. It was not....Bryan Teal owned the car but Dickie drove it.

There were 200 for dinner!! Delmer furnished the food and even had a fantastic 60's rock and roll band. It was just a great time. I really enjoyed getting to meet and visit with some of the "old" 409 racers. There stories about each other are priceless!!

And yes Cecil.......this was another Texas road trip.........and yes, I did bring a few parts home with me!!!!

In the first picture....from left to right.....Don Hardy, Charlie Thurwanger, Dale Pulde, Bryan Teal, Valerie Harrell, Tom Jacobson, Hayden Proffitt & Grady Bryant. The second picture is Charlie, Bryan, Hayden and Tom.

Attachments

• texasracergroupphoto.jpg
    texasracergroupphoto.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 164
  • charliebryanhaydentom.jpg
    charliebryanhaydentom.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 149

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Delmer's cars

Here are a couple of shots of some of Delmer's cars. There was a photograwpher from Muscle Car Review here and they will be running a story about this weekend and also feature articles on some of Delmer's cars.

Attachments

• delmerscars1.jpg
    delmerscars1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 147
  • delmerscars2.jpg
    delmerscars2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 140
  • delmerscars3.jpg
    delmerscars3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 120
  • delmerscars4.jpg
    delmerscars4.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 124

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Dickie Harrell's 69 Camaro

Delmer has a 2 areas set up in his garage as tributes to Dick Harrell. This yellow 69 Camaro was Dick's and I don't think Valerie had ever seen it. Delmer bought it from the dealer in NM. And he got ALL 3 original engines. That's right....the car was an original 375HP 396. Then Dickie put in a 427 and set a A Stock record with it. And Delmer also got the 480CI (I believe I'm right on the displacement) that was Dickie's match race engine. This car is ALL ORIGINAL. Notice the window sticker still on the driver's door!!!! And the car has 1516 miles on it!!!!! Delmer thinks that it is the lowest mileage Harrell car to survive. I would imagine it is!!

I think I heard Valerie say that she had never seen this car in person. Valerie and Linda Jacobson and Tom were very close. This was the first time Tom has seen Valerie since Linda passed away 2 years ago. Hayden and the other racers remember Valerie as a kid in the pits. It was an emotional day for several persons.

I was so impressed with Valerie. Mark...oil4kids....Valerie said to tell you Hi. Keep her updated on your progess on the Retribution II Nova!! She said you had sent her a picture of it in your garage. She said someone had sent her a DVD of the 348-409 Convention. Was that you?

Attachments

• dickieharrelcamaro1.jpg
    dickieharrelcamaro1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 88
  • dickieharrelcamaro2.jpg
    dickieharrelcamaro2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 108
  • dickieharrelcamaro3.jpg
    dickieharrelcamaro3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 104

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
New Dickie Harrell Camaro

Valerie and Dale arrived in the new Berger Chevrolet Dick Harrell Camaro. What a car!!!! There are 30 available. There are also 3 prototypes!! For a cool 126K....you can have one!!!! Sounded awesome!! There were a lot of autographs under the hood....might have been some of the production people who made the car. I'm not into new cars....but this one was nice!!!

Attachments

• valerieharrelcamaro1.jpg
    valerieharrelcamaro1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 70
  • valerieharrelcamaro2.jpg
    valerieharrelcamaro2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 71
  • valerieharrelcamaro3.jpg
    valerieharrelcamaro3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 96

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Grady Bryant

Grady showed up with his original match race 67 Nova. Grady and Dickie Harrell would book match races with each other. I guess Dickie's car was totalled in a wreck. But Grady has kept his car all these years. This car is a neat piece of drag racing history!!

Attachments

• gradybryant1.jpg
    gradybryant1.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 109
  • gradybryant2.jpg
    gradybryant2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 98
  • gradybryant3.jpg
    gradybryant3.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 101

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Hunting Buggy!!!!

Well..........Delmer asked us to come down early so he could take us hunting for jack rabbits. I had no clue what I was getting into!!!!

This "buggy" will run 80 miles an hour and the shocks have about 3' travel!!! Craziest thing I have ever been in!!! Felt like we had been in the Baja 500!!!!

That's Hayden on the left and Tom Jacobson up top...Delmer is driving. I was up top with Tom. Feature this.........4 old white guys with automatic rifles chasing jack rabbits at 80 MPH!!!! Unbelieveable!!! Each rifle held 14 shells and was an "automatic". One jack rabbit jumped up in front of us and we unloaded 56 shells at him and he didn't get hit!!!! We were laughing so hard and then Hayden stood up and yelled at the rabbit......"And don't you come back"!!!!!! We spent about 3 hours running around Delmer's pasture looking for game!!

This would have been better if I would have been driving!!!

Attachments

• delmerhuntingbuggy1.jpg
    delmerhuntingbuggy1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 105
  • delmerhuntingbuggy2.jpg
    delmerhuntingbuggy2.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 133

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
lucky dog

Phil, I knew about the get togrether, guess my invite got lost in the mail. I know you had a real great time. Wish we all could have gone!! Saw Harrell run the black 62 at Hobbs several times (summer of 63 I think). I think he was still working in the pot ash mines and had not turned pro yet. I was working in Odessa for a oil field co. More pictures if you got em. You still the "Kansas City Star".:roll :roll

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
:bow Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend!:beerbang
And that Rabbit story... That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.:roll

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
4 old white guys with automatic rifles chasing jack rabbits at 80 MPH!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
:roll :roll :roll

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
4 old white guys with automatic rifles chasing jack rabbits at 80 MPH!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
:roll :roll :roll

There was a crew of field hands out there working on a storage tank. We wondered out loud what they might be thinking!!!!:roll :roll They probably thought we were going to try to take our southern border back!!!!

Ronnie........met Bobby Everett and Earl Blue. Do you recognize those names? Bobby had, or still has, a blown Fiat!! Is buying a top fuel dragster to go racing next summer!! Geez........guys in their 60's and 70's........still trying to go fast!!!! Guess the urge never leaves once you goot hooked!!!!

Speed

Supporting Member 1
Phil...Tom and I had a great chat yesterday....He really enjoyed Texas!
He told me the hunting story..You,Hayden & Tom ..Hunters?.....<smile>

Lucky 88

Bryan Teal

I was great to read about a bunch of guys that was my Hero growing up. Bryan and I are very close friends and he still loves Drag Racing and builds my motors and tunes on my car. He and Turwhanger won a lot of races with the 63 Z11 car. Bryan went on to run Funny Cars and even set the world speed record in a car named Super Chief. Just to let every one know I am going to give Bryan Teal one more ride in a Top Spotsman Car. Who says you get to old to let ot all out. I told Thurwhanger about it tonight and he said he would be there for the first race just to see if that Old Fart still has it. Phil Reed I hope to see you and meet you because you sould like a great admirer of the old days. By the way Phil he said it was great to be there with all his friends and to meet you.Hopefully they will have the same thing next year.