Wet sanding in the rain!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
What better time to wet sand, when it's raining outside?

It's been somewhat hot lately (low to mid 90s) and it cooled down a bit when the sky clouded up and dropped some rain. So I pulled the car out of the garage into the driveway and went over the exterior of the body with 320 grit wet sandpaper :).

It was perfect, almost didn't need the hose. Several neighbors drove by and asked what the heck I was doing in the rain :). This is that same Belair depicted in the month of June on our Calendar. She's getting changed over from Ermine White back to the original two tone, Twilight Blue under a White roof. I've got a long way to go, but little by little she's coming along. Plans are to seal her off and use sprayable filler to build it back up and get the waves out. That will be done in the driveway :). Final coat will be done in a booth, as soon as I find someone who will let me use one.

Still need to get those front spears off, get the door jambs prepped, and a few more things before sealing. Even by my amateur standings, it should be an improvement!

Cheers,
TomK

Attachments

• July 12 2009  1962 BA paint stripping 004.jpg
    July 12 2009 1962 BA paint stripping 004.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 73
  • July 15 2009  1962 BA wet sanding 001.jpg
    July 15 2009 1962 BA wet sanding 001.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 82
  • July 15 2009  1962 BA wet sanding 002.jpg
    July 15 2009 1962 BA wet sanding 002.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 101

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Tom,
Is this what it will look like when done? Hope you are having a good summer.

McCauley Bros.

Attachments

• IMG_3495.JPG
    IMG_3495.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 100

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
105 here today, all of that green stuff behind the Belair looks quite inviting. Looks like it should work, Tom.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Blame it on your brother!

Kevin (Quik9er):

I'm blaming this entire transformation on your brother :).

Having seen his '62 BA 2 door sedan in Thompson, Ohio made me want to do it!

For those who don't know, Quik9ers' brother brought down a two tone White over Twilight Blue vehicle to the recent event in Ohio. I immediately recognized it as sporting the original colors my car had (since repainted all Ermine White). That little chrome strip on the "C" pillar tells you they were two toned at the factory. Of course, so does the trim tag :).

Once I saw his car (refer to the picture Kevin posted) I just had to do it to mine :) :) :).

Not sure I can get mine to look as good as his, but I am trying!

Wish me luck!

TomK

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
Tom, that will be a good looking ride.
Can't wait to see the finished product, You do nice work.
(just get rid of those wheels :pray).

:cheers

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
:crazy Look out if there's a flood! No telling what he'll do then!

(seriously, great job Tom. If you need practice, my rust bucket is ready when you are!)

BTW, I like those wheels. :beerbang