what bell, starter, flywheel goes w/ a '63 814 block?

buickbob

Supporting Member 1
:? I have a '63 409 block #3830814 that I'm building to put into my 64 SS with a build date of 10C on the cowl tag. I'm wanting a M-20 Muncie 4 speed tranny, so with that in mind ... what parts will work between the two. Which starter, flywheel, and bellhousing will go with this setup. And what other parts will I need. :dunno
THANKS

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
This first thing you will need is a 168 tooth flywheel. For the bell housing it all depends on how correct you would like things to be. The 1964 409 bell housing can be quite hard to find and expensive but a "621" big block bell housing is much more common, less expensive and will work. For a starter (assuming you are using a 621 bell housing or even the correct 64 409 bell) you will need a block-mounted starter. You can get these at the parts store. You will be getting a starter for a big block (396/427). Just tell them you need a starter for a 1964 Impala with a 409 and 4-speed.

Get all the correct 409 clutch linkage. It will make your life easier. The small block stuff isn't all the same. Show cars has what you need. I believe that the 409 fork for 64 was the same as the small block fork. My parts book seems to confirm that.

Not a bad swap. I've done it before. Just make sure you have everything ahead of time. I didn't and got to learn the hard way! :D

Best of luck!

Ross

ARKAR

Also know that they make a kit that makes a Hurst shifter look like a stock SS shifter setup. Depending on how picky you are, you'll also need a backup light setup. You might also have to have your driveshaft shortened.

Keith

buickbob

Supporting Member 1
Also know that they make a kit that makes a Hurst shifter look like a stock SS shifter setup. Depending on how picky you are, you'll also need a backup light setup. You might also have to have your driveshaft shortened.

Keith

Thanks for you input.... I did pick up the stock looking shifter Handle part that comes up throught the floor that will look stock and as you mentioned, the back light portion will not be functional. Where/who has this back-up light set up? I will need to have the driveshaft make for this car build as I bought just a shell and now I'm filling in the blanks ... I'm sure you know what I mean. I'm learning this stuff more in detail this go round, so I do enjoying learning all the input I can gather, I love details. THANKS .... KATHY

buickbob

Supporting Member 1
This first thing you will need is a 168 tooth flywheel. For the bell housing it all depends on how correct you would like things to be. The 1964 409 bell housing can be quite hard to find and expensive but a "621" big block bell housing is much more common, less expensive and will work. For a starter (assuming you are using a 621 bell housing or even the correct 64 409 bell) you will need a block-mounted starter. You can get these at the parts store. You will be getting a starter for a big block (396/427). Just tell them you need a starter for a 1964 Impala with a 409 and 4-speed.

Get all the correct 409 clutch linkage. It will make your life easier. The small block stuff isn't all the same. Show cars has what you need. I believe that the 409 fork for 64 was the same as the small block fork. My parts book seems to confirm that.

Not a bad swap. I've done it before. Just make sure you have everything ahead of time. I didn't and got to learn the hard way! :D

Best of luck!

Ross

Thanks for your info. Soooooo, I can use the '64 bellhousing #3843942 with a NEUTRAL balance 168 tooth flywheel and the 11" clutch set-up and as for the starter... does it mount to the bell or the block? I see a brand new one from Eastwood #11729 for $109.99 that mounts to the block it looks like. I'm learning this stuff a little more in detail this time as I go along on this rebuild. I got the car as a shell and now I'm buying all the pieces to make it one screaming machine. I want most of the stuff to be period correct but I don't want to be left on the side of the road waiting for a tow. So some things that you can see, I'd like the numbers to be right but if it's hidden some what I want to be relialbe. THANKS for your input .... KATHY

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
BuickBob is...............................Kathy??????????????????????:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:scratch:scratch:scratch

ChevyKathy..........SSKathy.............ImpalaKathy??????????????:scratch:scratch:scratch

ARKAR

Since there's talk about bellhousings in this thread, I thought I'd mention this option even though it looks like you have it covered. I read about this company in Muscle Car Review magazine - http://www.thebellhousinguy.com/. MCR used this bellhousing when they built their project '62 Biscayne named "409 on a dime".

Show Cars(www.dr409.com)has most of the setup for the backup lights. On these cars, the switch was mounted on the transmission and the wires went through the firewall and down to the switch. A small rod connected to the reverse lever on the shifter linkage and connected to the switch. When the shifter was shifted into reverse, the lever flipped the switch that turned on the lights. I might be able to take some pictures for you if you need some. I'm not sure that Show Cars has the correct reverse lever that mounts to the tranny, you'll have to call them. The correct lever has an "arm" on it with a hole where the rod goes throught it. If they don't have it, it seems like I have seen another vendor offer it, I'll have to look it up. Let me know if you need to know who had it. You could rig up at toggle switch to turn the lights on for now until you get ready to buy the correct setup.

Keith

buickbob

Supporting Member 1
BuickBob is...............................Kathy??????????????????????:dunno:dunno:dunno:dunno:scratch:scratch:scratch

ChevyKathy..........SSKathy.............ImpalaKathy??????????????:scratch:scratch:scratch
YES Mr Phil ... My name is Kathy... & just an FYI for you ... My husband BOB, signed up for this web site .... but I am, (ME, the girl, KATHY) the one doing the rebuild on this '64 SS Impala, Just like I did the rebuild on my '55 Bel Air, which happens to be a show winner ..... SO THERE TOO! THANK YOU VERY MUCH I hope that is OK?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome Kathy,and dont mind Phil....................Everyone at one time or another gives him s@it,from what I've heard...........often deserved,but he's a mostly good guy.:deal:crazy.Good luck with your build.

ARKAR

YES Mr Phil ... My name is Kathy... & just an FYI for you ... My husband BOB, signed up for this web site .... but I am, (ME, the girl, KATHY) the one doing the rebuild on this '64 SS Impala, Just like I did the rebuild on my '55 Bel Air, which happens to be a show winner ..... SO THERE TOO! THANK YOU VERY MUCH I hope that is OK?

You are very welcome here and if you need any help, please post questions! There's a lot of information here! Good luck with the build and if you get the chance, post pictures of the car! We love pictures!

Keith

buickbob

Supporting Member 1
THANKS KEITH .... I have pictures of my first build which is a '55 Bel Air. I'm going to be taking pictures on my second car build in a full sequence of shots of all the steps it takes to restore this one. I so enjoyed the build on my first that I wanted to tourture myself all over again. I'm doing a frame-off ... soup to nuts!

buickbob

Supporting Member 1
Thanks to all who are on here to share their wealth of knowledge ... I am like a sponge and will soak it all in and expand my horizions.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I THINK IT'S GREAT KATHY!!!! It's always great to see ladies involved in our hobby!!! I was just noticing that all the first posts were from buickbob and then your name started showing up!! That's all.

Welcome to our group!!!! You will learn a ton of info from these guys!!!

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Sounds like our Lady member is really something, her name might be related to the fierce and
dangerous "BobKat" , welcome aboard Kathy.
:roll:laugh