What coil springs are you guys running?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have Moog HD springs in the rear of my biscayne and I am in the process of totally rebuilding the front end of my car and am wondering what springs you guys like...I was always told "you can't go wrong with Moog." What brand are the springs sold by Show Cars? Rock Auto has great prices on the Moog HD springs for the front so I want to get some thoughts. I was running 43 year old GM springs and old shocks up front prior to my teardown so anything new up front should be an improvement I'd think :)

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I think just about every "off-the-shelf" spring is the same as a MOOG spring. I bought a set from Eaton, paid MORE and got MOOG springs!!!:mad:
I'm just running the stock 409 springs, #6000, I think. The car had 658A springs installed when I bought it. The 6000 springs in there now seem to be OK. I'm happy with them. I had a pair of the 6004 springs installed for a while and it raised the front end UP! Pretty stiff ride.

The "stock" rear springs that Eaton sold me were worse than my originals. Waaay to soft. Must have been #661. I immediately pulled them out and put my old 658A front springs in. Waaay to stiff but they raised the rear up to where it's supposed to be. Might have to try the HD rear springs.

I'd be interested to know what people are running for rear springs.

Ross

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Moogs

I went with the stock HD replacements from Moog, both front and back. I changed the 283 PG out for a 409 four speed (less weight, mostly in the trans swaps?) and dang, that thing sits too high. I haven't done it yet, because I hate fooling with those front springs, but plans are to cut them down a bit.

The rear seems to ride just right, but I am wayyy up in the front. No I didn't mix 'em up! Mine is a '62.

Cheers!
TomK

rconnors

Ive always used 62 station wagon springs in the rear...on my second set after 24 years and they keep thee rear up nicely...the front sets up hifher also but I cannot remember what I used .

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tom, I must say your car seems to sit about PERFECT. These are the Moog HD springs up front? They don't have like 80,000 miles on them or anything to get the to settle to this height though do they? :roll

attachment.php

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Nice!

That's a nice shot of the '62! Have you seen her up close?

Here is a pic of the HD Moogs when I had the SS body off the frame:

Cheers!
TomK

Attachments

• springs resized.jpg
    springs resized.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 99

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
yea your car does look really nice in that photo Tom! I went with the Moog #6000 springs...they should work just fine for my 327-powerglide combo