What do I do now?

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I started stripping all the peripherals off the frame to get it ready to be blasted and much to my surprise, found this frame repair and damage. What the hell could have done this? Any suggestions on what my next plan should be?

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 214

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would say fatigue though I don't know what to say about the bracket for the lower arm. Could be unrelated to what happened to the upper. I would say to check the frame using the dimensions in the shop manual and go from there.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Cecil,

While I did not show it clearly, there was definitely a weld failure between the bracket and frame. Maybe the previous owner did not catch it and romped down on it and broke it all to hell at that point. The weld failure is a clean separation from the frame. Hope a good frame shop can put it right. The new motor that is going to be built will certainly test that part of the frame. At least that's my current plan. Thanks for the insight.
D

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had my frame break there on my 65 convert which had a 10 bolt rear that only has the one upper arm and I had put a 4 speed in it and I guess I dumped the clutch too many times too hard . I was able to have a welding shop fix it and it looked really good and held up to my 396.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it were mine, I would replace that section. That area is inherently weak, as it came from GM.
I welded mine solid, all the way top to bottom, both sides. Then, I made plates to bolt in at each arm (double)
attaching point. Then, I made struts going from each arm down to the frame.
Something to think about.
Depends on how you'll be driving the car.
Just sayin'.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Agreed, Randy. This thread scares me . I've had some reinforcing done on mine but not nearly enough. Plans are to get the car together ,,, hope to get this year in the books and then do much more for strength next winter. That area must take massive abuse.

No409

Supporting Member 1
mines doing the same thing, going to linblad chassis in rockdale,ma and getting fixed for good( I like high rpm clutch dumps, and beating on my stuff)

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Years ago my 64 did the same thing only worse, was a pain to fix in the car,remove fuel tank etc. I think showcars has a reinforceing piece for this problem. Pat :rub

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
This is a very common problem on these cars. I'm in agreement with the guys that say make it stronger when you fix it.
I think GM added a little re-enforcement tab in about 63 or 64 :scratch and I also think Showcars may sell them. :scratch
You can just add a piece of metal going ahead to the inside of the frame. If I remember right it's tricky to get something to work really well because of the angles and the need to leave room to access the bolts, but it's not that hard to figure something out.

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Many years ago, a good friend of mine yanked the motor &4-speed and sent a real '63 409 body to the junkyard because of the exact same thing.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If you go through bsl409s post on his 61 Biscane,you'll find some really good pictures of what he did using the Global West parts.If you're going to hammer the car,especially with a stick,these mods are mandentory.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I just redid mine this winter ,mine was ripping the frame wall,it was all patched together looked like sh#$.So I removed it all and put a plate on frame wall I have a parts so I removed the cross brace from it and rewelded it back together in my 63.Allso added the drvs side torque arm now we should be ready to rock this pig and I only have a 327.I was looking on youtube and some of the low rider people just put a small plate in there so they can get the travel for the hippity hop.Any competent welder can make a decent brace like they said above alot easier if the body is off the frame.