What do these codes mean?

64_ss

For some reason there are no two letters on my carrier. all i found were numbers. some reason i cant find the gear code?

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
what do these codes mean

64 ss
The code is stamped ( not cast) on the face of the carrier, on the right side looking at it. May have to brush the area or sand paper.
Allen

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It should be on the passenger side or the left side if you are looking from the front of the carrier toward the back of the car. These were sometimes lightly stamped and are very difficult to find much less read. You could just count the turns.

64_ss

I didnt find it on the passenger side i sanded it to the metal on that side and didnt find nothing. I turned the tire a full turn and the driveshaft made a 1 3/4 turn

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
ratio

What did the other tire do???????? Is the other one on the ground, or did it turn???? Open rear, the other tire turns the opposite direction. Posi rear, other tire turns the same direction. Need to know that. I would think you have an open rear end. I think you need to hold the one tire while turning the other. Then do your count. You need to be fairly accurate on the drive shaft count. Not much difference in a 3.08 and a 3.36. Or a 3.55. Mark the drive shaft so you can be sure of the exact number of turns, plus a partial turn.

bobs409

Administrator
When it's an open rear where the other tire turns opposite, I believe you have to turn the tire 2 revolutions instead of just 1. (posi rear is 1 turn)