What do you think of my combination

Today I went to Show Cars and got my parts. I bought Ross Forged pistons which are .030 over for my 348 They are 11.25:1 compression.

My cam is made by federal mogel it lift is:
intake: .413
exhaust: .415

I don't know what to do about the compression, do you guys think it is to much, what octane will I have to run????? I hope to have the motor built in a week. All the machine work is done so it is ready for assembly. If you have any info for me it will be helpful. I hope to have at least 350hp. I have the big valves and tri-power, what do you guys think. Thanks:)

BAD Cam !

Hey Josh !
Sounds like you're on your way.... but the cam:cuss
No good. Not just simply not enough cam, but a TERRIBLE profile.
With that much compression ( you will still have a real 10.8:1 with the composition head gaskets ), you need more cam in order to make it efficient ( and let it "live" ).

will it be ok

will it be ok with that cam or do I need a diffrent cam. I don't care if the compression goes down. I would rather have it lower than 11.25:1 or will it just not work with that cam???

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Awful cam! Call comp cams or any other major cam manufacture and tell them what you have and they will recommend a cam. Aubrey knows what you need and stay with the pistons. You will have to run 92 octane gas but it will come alive. That cam is like muzzling the engine.:) Roy

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I gotta agree with the others. If you haven't already installed that cam trade it in. :evil It'd be okay but another 20 or 30deg. would make that Chevy fly.

Hey Joker.... that cam looks VERY efficient ! Not huge performance, but way WAY better than a factory grind, and DEFINITELY a modern profile.:cheers

cam

So should I keep the cam or should I get a diffrent one. What kinda horse am I lookin at. If I should get a diffrent one what should I get for lift??? Also how will this cam sound. I wanted it to have a slight lope

Should you get a different cam ? ....
I think the vote is in on THAT one:cheers !

You need a lift between about .480" & .530", depending on what you're going to use for valve springs.
Duration at .050 should be between about 220 & 230... advertised duration 260-no more than 280.
108-110 centre line separation.

There are a number of manufaturers who can build/supply a profile like this.

I

IgnitionMan

I agree about the cams.

I also know you should keep the quench distance down to between .039 to .045, or you will not get the tune-up to work, no matter what you will be forced to try later to get the pinging out of it.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
With the cam you've got your car will sound pretty much like every other car on the road. Or it might stumble just the tinyest bit at an idle. Not like a muscle car more like a car that's not tuned up quite right. As far as horsepower goes, I'm no expert but I think 300hp would be about it with that cam. But with a bigger cam 350hp should be a reasonable expectation. I don't know anything about your engine except that it is a 348 with lots of compression. If you got the cam from Showcars and haven't used it yet you may be able to return it and get one of the other Isky's they carry. Looking at their cam page I think I see the cam you've got. Notice how it says smooth idle and rpm range of 1500 to 4500 This is not a hot cam. Look at the second last cam on the bottom of the first list, Hydraulic Cams. It's got 214deg. @ .050 and a 110deg. lobe seperation. It's also got .525 lift and an advertised duration of 264. This is a nice cam if you want a noticeable muscle car kind of idle. The cam below this one is also a nice modern design but might be too big unless you are running headers, low gears and a four speed or a automatic with a high stall converter. That last cam would idle quite rough. All the other cams listed here don't look as good. They are all down on lift when compared to these two. Amoung the cams listed here cam # 0922, The one with 214@ .050 gets my vote. I notice that it costs $65.00 more than the one you've got but it might be the best $65.00 you'll ever spend. Perhaps some of the other guys will also give there oppinions. By the way I'm assuming that your heads will handle .525 lift. Anybody know if they will for sure? http://www.show-cars.com/campage.html

JIMJAMES

his combination

a set of 3758379 heads with stock valve springs will coil bind at .490 with a max cam lift of .430
a set of 3781147 heads with stock valve springs will coil bind at .480 with a max cam lift of .420.
looks like my1960impala is restoring his 348 3x2 to it original stock 350 hp the stock 350 hp did run 11 1/4 pistons and a 406/412 lift cam if this is what my1960impala is looking for this is ok to
his cam is very close to original and has a better profile but if he
is going for more lift the heads will need to be reworked

cam combo

well I am going to stick with this cam. The folks at show cars have really been helpful and have helped me out alot. i think I will be very happy with what I'm going with. Remember this car is not gonna be built for the strip. this car is being built because it was my dads first car and I want to restore it to drive. We started doing last minute cleaning such as cleaning up the threads for the head bolts and also we cleaned up the cylinders. I hadn't look close since I got the motor back from the machine shop I noticed two of the cylinders had some small pits in them towards the top. I have been told it won't bother anything, what do you guys think????

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
If it was the machine shop that said it would be okay then it probably will be. On that cam, it will run nice and make decent power. It will also give you good mileage but I'm still thinking closer to 300hp than 350. But even 300hp or so will move that car well so I think you'll be happy with the end result. :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Might be happier if you listened to the members that have been there and done that !!,,,,,,,but ,,hey,,, it`s just my opinion,,,dq

well I have a new question. I was just thinking how do you get the piston ring compressor in the right position with that wierd block design at the top???? It seems it wouldn't go in to good