what does this number mean????

dlawrence

We have a 29 model A with an 8 cylinder chevy small block engine. I found this number on the passenger side on the front of the motor. What is it and what does it mean. C54127630K0 . The last number was blocked and I couldn't read it. As you can tell I don't know a lot about cars. If anyone can help send an email to my home computer. suelaw@tampabay.rr.com. I'm trying to figure out what year the engine is and what kind of car it came out of. Thank you. Sue

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sue-

This number is most likely the VIN for the car it came out of. If you can get the number which is located next to this number, you can find more info on this engine.

Also look behind the drivers side cylinder head and there is a number cast into the top of the block.

Let us know what these are and we should be able to find more info on it for you.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Getting closer. This number can give you an idea of what it is.

3970010....302.....69....4...Z-28 Camaro
3970010....327.....69....2...Trucks and industrial
3970010....350...69-80...2 or 4

The other number in front of the passenger head will tell us more.

dlawrence

I know this is a 350 cubic inch motor. I was told the engine is from a 1990 corvette. Is this a 2 or 4 bolt main? I couldn't find any other numbers. Thanks. Sue

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Because this is a fairly common block used from 1969 - 1980 and was available in 2 or 4 bolt versions, the only way to tell would be to pull the pan.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It is not from a 1990 Corvette with that casting number. Back by the 3970010 number, are there any other numbers or letters? That is where a date code might be and will narrow down when the engine was built.

Those numbers on the front passenger side (start with a C) are likely the only ones that will tell you what the engine was- the last 2 or 3 should be letters, can you make out anything there or post pics of the numbers?

Don

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
are you positive on that number. that looks like the engine serial number. the las 3 digets are most likely letters. th 0K0 could CKC, CKD, CKG.... another thing, the pad size can narrow the time frame down. there where 3 different one from 55 to 80s.