What is the best pushrod guide plates?

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
What pushrod guide plates did you use?
What about show cars, one piece unit 5919?
How thick are they?
Does the rocker arm stud threads have to be longer, than .750?
Are BBC plates different than 409?

Thanks Howard

Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What pushrod guide plates did you use? I have some from Carl McQuillen.
What about show cars, one piece unit 5919? Don't know. McQuillen's are 2 piece. Takes 2 per head.
How thick are they? 3/16
Does the rocker arm stud threads have to be longer, than .750? .750 - 3/16 = 9/16 engagement into the head. Should be a minimum of .65/.70
Are BBC plates different than 409? Yes

Thanks Howard

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If your existing push rod holes are in good shape,all you'll need is a good 5/16 push rod with a thicker wall thickness like .110-..140.

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
If I use the Carl McQuillen plates, do I just mill the 4 exhaust stud bosses? or all 8 and put washes under the 4 intakes?
So looks like I have made a mistake, I have the bosses milled flat. to put screw in studs. Not 8* on intakes and 12* on exhaust. which way
do they angle?
I could have the corrected by milling 3/16th more off, to use guide plates.

thanks Howard

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With the McQuillen plates you will cut the intake bosses 3/16 to allow for the guide plate & some additional amount for most or all of the hex on the stud. Whatever this 2nd figure is should also be cut off of the exhaust bosses but not the 3/16 for the plates. BOTH need to be cut at their original angles. You might check with Carl but this is what I would do.
Jeff

Howard Hull

Well Known Member
Is the 8* and 12* the angle of the stud, or the angle of the stud boss? or are both angled?

Howard

Last edited: