What length are Z-11 and Edelbrock water pumps?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
So are Z-11 and Edelbrock pumps the same length as the larger bearing later model water pumps for pulley line up?
Don't know if the Z-11 is included in this but seems likely that if not same as 63 production then same as second design 64. 65 had a different shaft and big bearing. Overall length of the bearing and shaft assemblies is 4.688" for 58-early 64 and 5.020" for second design 64-65.

FanHublocn.jpg

Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don't know if the Z-11 is included in this but seems likely that if not same as 63 production then same as second design 64. 65 had a different shaft and big bearing. Dimensions from face of hub to engine mounting face is 4.688" for 58-early 64 and 5.020" for second design 64-65.

Cecil, I'm confused, "Dimensions from face of hub to engine mounting face is 4.688" for 58-early 64 and 5.020" for second design 64-65." This does not match your chart??? The dimensions Skip Fix gave are in there and I rough measured 2 stock pumps at 5-1/2ish.
Jeff

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I can take pictures of the Z-11 pump later today(at the office now). Got the pump with a complete motor in the 70s. Guy told me water leak was form a warped head he machined and new head gasket-Nope a severely leaky sleeve he said he told me block was sleeved -so got screwed on that deal other than the 690 heads were OK-had welded on BBC guideplates! Patt Bill's Speed and Sport in Irving-had the 409 in a T bucket roadster he raced.

I have a couple of the early pumps and the ones of my first car were later ones(had one back up) I think are close to 5.5ish too for the late ones.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
According to Cecil's chart, the late/2nd design should be 5-3/4" and when I measure the difference on water pump pulleys it is a 1/4" between the early 2 piece and a pulley I have marked as off of a 65 engine.
Jeff

409Kid

Well Known Member
I would have to dig out my pumps but it seemed to me that back in the day I either pressed the hub back for alignment or I shined the bottom pulley out or a combination of both. Obviously with shimming the bottom pulley you lose the indexing of the pulley to the crank snout balancer hole.

As an alternative you could shim the balancer out from the timing gear to get your proper alignments between the pump and crank pulleys.

409Kid

Well Known Member
63impalass409

Not wanting to sidetrack this thread but…Was the Z-11 an externally balanced engine?. Seems to me I saw a pic once of the backside of the balancer and it had a pork chop cast into it.

409Kid

Well Known Member
63impalass409

I deleted my question as it was off topic but you were too fast for me. lol.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You're right. I got that reference from a Canadian Parts Catalogue #651 December 1964 on GM Parts Wiki and I wonder if it is metric, I'll have to check that out.

Looks like it refers to the waterpump bearing and shaft assembly overall length. From Group 1.105 .I would post the page but it won't let me post a .png.

Last edited:

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Z-11 bearing OD 1.170 shaft is .620. When I got it about 1973ish it was polished and casting # were off either for polishing or hot!

Attachments

• Z11pump 001.jpg
    Z11pump 001.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 22
  • Z11pump 002.jpg
    Z11pump 002.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Z11pump 003.jpg
    Z11pump 003.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Z11pump 004.jpg
    Z11pump 004.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Z11pump 005.jpg
    Z11pump 005.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 24

409Kid

Well Known Member
Skip Fix. Contact me offline if you would be interested in selling your pump. Beggars can’t be choosy when I comes to acquiring this stuff. Casting date doesn’t bother me. You can see where the plinth was and that’s good enough for me.