What portable compressor?

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
I need to buy a portable compressor that is capable of spraying wall texture, etc. I have been told several not to buy, but would like to hear what someone knows will do the job. I’ve done a lot of hand textured walls, but this project has way too much square footage for that so any tips regarding thinning, etc would be appreciated.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Compressor is just as important as the tank you need. You can run a compressor all day long that can just keep up with the volume you will use but a big tank will ensure you have the volume you need and give your compressor a break to cool down. I have a small 20gal tank in my shop that I always use but should I need more I have an empty 60gal setting in the corner for things like air sanders and the like.

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
Thanks. I have a big 5 hp upright Ingersall Rand at home, but it’s too heavy to move to our new store for this job. One I looked at is a Makita 3 hp 5.2 gallon.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Is that going to give you the volume you need to spray texture? I wouldn't think it could keep up with 5 gallon.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
for shooting texture you need volume...are you using a goldblatt type gun to shoot the mud...not enough volume and the mud will fall short of it's target quickly...

alaska gasser

Well Known Member
I got a new Harbor Freight hopper as part of a swap so I planned on testing it out. I don’t know how fast most compressors replace air so that’s why I was seeing what someone who has done this recommends.

Clint

Well Known Member
I got a new Harbor Freight hopper as part of a swap so I planned on testing it out. I don’t know how fast most compressors replace air so that’s why I was seeing what someone who has done this recommends.
I have used a pancake compressor in the past. It works but you do have to wait on it.