What shifter is this?

Aqua409ss

Well Known Member
This shifter came off a T10 4 speed i found over the weekend, Found a couple on ebay which looks similar saying they it is 65 409, any one know what it came off?
IMG_2463.JPG IMG_2464.JPG IMG_2465.JPG

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It appears to be a bench seat shifter which were normally used on a Muncie. Obviously they didn't have a different shifter for 409 cars could be from any of the Chevy models, they all had different bends.

Bill

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
You don't know what has been changed over the years....it is for a Muncie, the lever has the shape for a bench seat but the nob should be white with the shift pattern, that nob is for a SS. I'm betting it's a bench seat shifter for a 66 big car and someone put the chrome nob on it.
I say this cause I had a 66 Impala 427/425 with a bench seat and the shifter looked like that.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Didn't that reverse lock out come in around 65 or later? Long past the T10 in production from Chevy.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
That's a 67 Chevelle bench seat shifter. It's the same as I have on my 63 with the Muncie.

Aqua409ss

Well Known Member
seems to me that it could come out of a few things , going to clean it up and sell it as "chevy 4 speed muncie Bench floor shifter 64 - 66"
ill let whoever is chasing determine what is is, cheers every one for your knowledge:cheers

Ted the dates on the gearbox are

main case
D32-2 c-13-62
T10-1B
2WG DIV
02-

side plate
-2-20-62

extension housing
-2-23-62
T10 7B

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I found once that there was "claimed" 2 versions of the dog leg bench seat shifter. The 64 impala was by itself and stood up a little straighter and the a-bodies had the other. I have not verified this. They where not use in 65, 6, 7 as far as I know. Console handles where all different. Buick Skylark also used these. 65 and 66 ( 67?) The skylark use a black ball in stead of the white and chrome in 65. I have had all of these handles in the past.