What should I offer for this?

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I have a chance to buy a 63' SS 409 car without engine and is soppost to be in good shape the rust is that it may need floors and front fender repair, original paint and interior may be a 4 spd. car. I have not seen the car
but I know what to look for since I do have a true 409 car now. Just wondering what you guys think for a base offer.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hey 425/409er

Offer as little as possible to start..........:dunno

Don't offer anything till you see it and since it's difficult to determine if it
was a 409 car (w/o doc) just assume it was not and offer low.

I won't offer anything till the seller tells me what he wants
and go from there...........:brow

good luck

:cheers
bj

HIVOLTAGE

Well Known Member
The guys on this site don't like giving estimates of value, I tried asking a few times in different threads when I was purchasing my car. God bless them though, I did get some nice pc replies. :D

Let me see if this helps you at all. I bought a 63 Impala sport coupe, non documented 409 dual quad with a 4spd. The car appears to be an original 409 car but with out the proper documentation, I can't confirm it. It has 79,000 documented miles through all the registrations from day one. It has been repainted the original color and has the original interior. I'll post a few pics of it so you can get an idea of condition. I paid $15,000 for it.

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00546.jpg

DSC00547.jpg

DSC00566.jpg

1963Impala038.jpg

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
nice car Voltage. you got a heck of a good deal on that one. looks like my red 409 car. i for one am afraid to guess on a car price that i have never seen or know anything about. same reason i wont recommend a body shop. maybe i got a good deal and you get hosed by the same place. then i'm the lowlife who told you to go there.

Attachments

• MVC-001F%.jpg
    MVC-001F%.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 44

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hivoltage,

WOW! That's a really sweet looking car (in your image's, anyway).
I'd say you just about stole that!

Really good deals do happin. I work with a guy that just 2 weeks ago bought
a 68 corvette from a local 69 year old guy he knows. The car is all numbers matching, recently restored. 427 / 3-deuce / 4-speed / coupe / blue.
$12,000.00 ! :eek:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
HiVoltage...

Nice car and nice garage!!!!!!...I like that large tv to entertain while wrenching
robert

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Like the space!

HiVoltage, that garage floor had me drooling! I have a serious case of "garage envy"!!! I am sooooo out of space with my projects it isn't even funny...

Rust was the main concern I had when I first noted the original request for pricing. I'd really have to crawl around a vehicle that needed pans and fenders, because as we all know, it isn't limited to those areas. Check the inner rockers, the braces, the trunk area, lots of areas. To dismantle and to replace is a huge effort, but well worth the time. I just don't want you to pay $XX thousand and then find out you need to pay someone to do the repairs and it ends up costing you twice that.

Unless you can do this yourself, then it just time, tools and parts :).

Got any pics, or details of the condition? Have you seen it up close, or can you get someone knowledgeable who can see it first hand?

Good luck!
TomK

HIVOLTAGE

Well Known Member
Thank you for the compliments gentlemen. I totally understand why we're reluctant to give price advice, I tend to agree with the philosophy. I've been a sales mgr in the auto business for 28 yrs and am faced with the same types of challenges daily. I find myself being very pc and try to give us much advice as I can without putting myself or dealership at risk.

The car is as nice as it appears in pictures. There are a few things I would like to do to make it even nicer and I am enjoying dinking around with it. It's a good stress reliever to be able to go out to the garage and do something that I enjoy so much. And yes, the garage does make it that much nicer. I waited a long time to finally be able to have the means to make my dream garage. It took about 6 months to do it, but it has been worth it. I must admit, I went a bit too far probably with some of the details. I purchased some diecast chrome wheels and tires and used them for all the knobs on the cupboards and drawers. They don't show up too well in the photos but in person they really make a nice touch.

Here's a few more pics of the garage, you can get a better idea of how it came out without the cars in there.

P1010014-1.jpg

P1010010-2.jpg

P1010013-1.jpg

P1010009-3.jpg

P1010067.jpg

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
:eek: Yikes !! There's a spy in the house!! :roll :roll :roll It wouldn't matter. That's where I would spend the rest of my life.:clap Real nice place, HIGHVOLTAGE. :brow Your car's live the good life. :cheers Skip:)

Astro409

Well Known Member
Doesn't the high performance 327 Impala have the same gas and brake lines as the 409s? But I would imagine that if it doesn't have the original 409 engine in it and you make it a 409 car AGAIN wouldn't it still make it a clone 409 car or am I wrong?:dunno I'd say, make it a 409 car and have lots of fun with it. I also think you should bring my questions up to the seller so you can get a more reasonable price being that it doesn't have the 409 engine if it did come from the factory with one.:brow

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Thanks for the help guys and it looks like I will be looking at it next week. I will keep you all posted and the guy says he wants to dump it so if I can get it cheap
I may part it out depending on what it looks like.

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
WOW, Voltage you have a fantastic garage, and you really got a deal on the car.
I've got nearly $35K in my 61 and it's not finished. Much cheaper to buy than build if you can find the right car. AZ409